No Result
View All Result
Monday, May 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Libya’s archaeological heritage among the world’s most endangered

byNigel Ash
July 15, 2016
Reading Time: 1 min read
A A

By Libya Herald reporters.

Leptis Magna's theatre, only one jewel is a large tourism crown
Leptis Magna’s theatre, only one jewel in an extensive Libyan archaeological heritage (File photo)

Tripoli, 14 July 2016:

Some ten percent of the world’s most threatened heritage sites are in Libya UNESCO has warned.

Cyrenaica, Leptis Magna, Sabratha, the old town of Ghadames and the rock-art sites of Tadart Acacus are all at serious risk, said the UN body’s World Heritage Committee said in Istanbul at its annual meeting.

UNESCO explained that damage had already been inflicted by armed groups at or near the sites. It feared that worse could follow.

RELATED POSTS

Misrata Chamber of Commerce holds several meetings in Istanbul as part of marketing efforts of its Sixth Exhibition for Building and Equipping, Misrata – 2 to 5 May

Western Mountain Military Region conducts operation around Ghadames against drug trafficking and transnational organised crime

The organisation did not mention the willingness over the years of guides to the Acacus rock paintings to throw water over the precious remains, in order to make them more visible for tourists.

UNESCO called on the international community to protect the sites. It did not however make clear how this might be done.

It warned that there were 54 sites world-wide that were in jeopardy.

Cyrenaica alone holds a more extensive range of classical remains than even Greece itself.  The remains of Sabratha and Leptis Magna can rival any Roman ruins in the world.

UNESCO said that it had placed the five Libyan sites on its most threatened register because of the damage that has already been sustained and the serious threat of further destruction that they faced.

This Istanbul meeting did not speciifally address the continuing problem of the smuggling of historic artefacts from Libya.

 

Members of the Qaddafi regime frequently plundered museums for choice pieces. Since the Revolution, museums around the world have been put on the alert to look out for stolen items.  However, the flow of smuggled artefacts from Libya continues. Last year an Italian curator told this newspaper that it was private collectors who represented the greatest danger to Libya’s priceless archaeological heritage.

Tags: CyrenaicafeaturedghadamesIstanbulLeptis MagnaLibyarock paintingsSabrathaTadart AcacusUNESCOWorld Heritage Committee

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Next Post

GECOL refutes political motives in its organized power cuts in Tripoli

Confusion over Barghathi “assassination” attempt

Confusion over Barghathi “assassination” attempt

Top Stories

  • Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

CBL Governor & Interior Minister discuss action plan to curb FX black-market, reduce smuggling across borders and imports outside banking system

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.