No Result
View All Result
Friday, February 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Libya’s archaeological heritage among the world’s most endangered

byNigel Ash
July 15, 2016
Reading Time: 1 min read
A A

By Libya Herald reporters.

Leptis Magna's theatre, only one jewel is a large tourism crown
Leptis Magna’s theatre, only one jewel in an extensive Libyan archaeological heritage (File photo)

Tripoli, 14 July 2016:

Some ten percent of the world’s most threatened heritage sites are in Libya UNESCO has warned.

Cyrenaica, Leptis Magna, Sabratha, the old town of Ghadames and the rock-art sites of Tadart Acacus are all at serious risk, said the UN body’s World Heritage Committee said in Istanbul at its annual meeting.

UNESCO explained that damage had already been inflicted by armed groups at or near the sites. It feared that worse could follow.

RELATED POSTS

Misrata Chamber of Commerce holds several meetings in Istanbul as part of marketing efforts of its Sixth Exhibition for Building and Equipping, Misrata – 2 to 5 May

Western Mountain Military Region conducts operation around Ghadames against drug trafficking and transnational organised crime

The organisation did not mention the willingness over the years of guides to the Acacus rock paintings to throw water over the precious remains, in order to make them more visible for tourists.

UNESCO called on the international community to protect the sites. It did not however make clear how this might be done.

It warned that there were 54 sites world-wide that were in jeopardy.

Cyrenaica alone holds a more extensive range of classical remains than even Greece itself.  The remains of Sabratha and Leptis Magna can rival any Roman ruins in the world.

UNESCO said that it had placed the five Libyan sites on its most threatened register because of the damage that has already been sustained and the serious threat of further destruction that they faced.

This Istanbul meeting did not speciifally address the continuing problem of the smuggling of historic artefacts from Libya.

 

Members of the Qaddafi regime frequently plundered museums for choice pieces. Since the Revolution, museums around the world have been put on the alert to look out for stolen items.  However, the flow of smuggled artefacts from Libya continues. Last year an Italian curator told this newspaper that it was private collectors who represented the greatest danger to Libya’s priceless archaeological heritage.

Tags: CyrenaicafeaturedghadamesIstanbulLeptis MagnaLibyarock paintingsSabrathaTadart AcacusUNESCOWorld Heritage Committee

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Next Post

GECOL refutes political motives in its organized power cuts in Tripoli

Confusion over Barghathi “assassination” attempt

Confusion over Barghathi “assassination” attempt

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

Military Industrialization Organisation delivers 7,000 cooking gas cylinders it has manufactured locally to Brega Oil Marketing Company

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.