No Result
View All Result
Friday, May 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

The rise of fighters’ anger

byMichel Cousins
June 22, 2016
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
The rise of fighters’ anger

By Libya Herald correspondent.

Misrata Central Hospital new
Misrata Central Hospital (Photo: MCH)

Misrata, 21 June 2016:

The left side of Ramadan As-Sadaoui’s head is blue. He took a bullet from an Islamic State (IS) sniper. It entered his left cheek and it is still inside his head. He can barely talk. For the moment he does not need to. His four companions in the same ward in Misrata Central Hospital, all injured fighters like him, tell the same story of what they call IS’ “dirty war”.

Baha Al-Mahrog is a member of Fursan Janzour brigade. He was injured on 16 June by a suicide car bomb in Zaafran roundabout, the west entrance of Sirte. “I have fragments in my right pelvis,” he says. “The doctors told me it’s serious. I haven’t had surgery yet because the doctors fear I’ve an infection.” Baha Al-Mahrog cannot recall much about what happened. He just remembers a truck driving fast from trees to the sand block which protects the fighters at around 2 am that day. “The previous night, a car came the same way but we managed to stop it,” he told the Libya Herald.

Like many of his brothers in arms, Baha al-Mahrog fought during the battle of Sirte in 2011 against Qaddafi’s forces. “This war is far more difficult because IS uses dirty methods like suicide car bombs or snipers, and they will fight until they die.”

RELATED POSTS

Libyan Export Development Authority calls for Gulf of Sirte to be assigned as an international nature reserve

The first Libyan Bosnian Business Forum held in Misrata deemed an economic turning point between the two countries

Since the beginning of Bunyan Marsous operation, not counting today’s massive toll, 170 fighters have been killed and more than 700 injured.

“In war, the worst are head injuries and amputation cases which are exactly the kind of injuries caused by snipers and suicide car attacks”, said Said al-Mihishi, who is both a doctor and a fighter.

Misrata Central Hospital would not allow journalists to take photos partly because of the horrific injuries of the wounded but also because of the poor conditions it is having to operate under.

“We have a shortage of everything – anesthetic drugs, antibiotics, and much more,” Dr Mohamed Al-Ajnaf said.

“We suffer as well from a lack of nurses. We have one nurse for 30 patients in the surgery unit”.

Sixty percent of the nurses, mainly from Philippines, had left Libya, he noted. A programme has been launched among the students to enroll 60 of them as nurses.

The hospital itself is too small to treat all the patients. A lobby has been closed off to provide more bed space. Only the emergency building is open because the other buildings are unfinished; the construction company left in 2011.

Abdelaziz Issa, the spokesperson of the hospital, prefers to focus on the good points. “Serraj’s government promised us LD 3 million. So far we’ve had LD 1 million and we’ve received two containers of supplies out of three provided by the [National] Salvation Government [of Khalifa Ghwell]. Both authorities want to show they’re helping in the fight against IS. We take everything.”

In the field hospital, 13 kilometres west of Sirte, the working conditions are worse. “We have 12 doctors but most of them are actually student doctors. We lost a lot of equipment [including a fully-equipped truck for surgeries] when IS bombed the field hospital’s previous location on 12 June,” Dr Mustafa Shkorfo expained. Worse, there were not enough medical supplies to prevent haemorrhaging which meant that most of the fighters developed infections in the field hospital while waiting to be taken to Misrata.

Complaints from fighters about the situation are growing.

“My brother needs treatment abroad but instead he has been waiting in this room for a week. No one helps us,” complains Omar, Ramadan As-Sadaoui’s brother.

Angry fighters went last week to a local hotel where the municipal council was meeting meet to ask for more help. The tension was reportedly very high.

“This war has nothing to do with the revolution in 2011. The fighters now are more scared because IS will stay until they die. They don’t care,” said Abdullah Sliman, another of the wounded in the same ward as Ramadan As-Sadoui. He then adds: “For myself, I will go back and fight. I am not scared. »

Tags: featuredLibyaMisrataSirte

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
Qarabulli death toll rises as local youths attack Misratan checkpoint

Qarabulli death toll rises as local youths attack Misratan checkpoint

IOM’s report on displaced, returnees and migrants in Libya

IOM’s report on displaced, returnees and migrants in Libya

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.