No Result
View All Result
Sunday, May 24, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Growing opposition to State Council launch

byMichel Cousins
April 9, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Growing opposition to State Council launch

dsjh

By Saber Ayyub.

dsjh
Pro-HoR, anti-State Council protests in Tripoli’s Martyrs’ Square (Photo: Social media)

Tripoli, 8 April 2016:

Hundreds of demonstrators took to Tripoli’s Martyrs’ Square this evening to protest the institution of the . . .[restrict]State Council without a vote by the House of Representatives (HoR).

There were also protests in Benghazi’s Kish Square this afternoon, although numbers were smaller.

The State Council, whose members are supposed to be drawn from the General National Congress (GNC), is part of the Libyan Political Agreement signed in December in Skhirat, Morocco and then endorsed by the UN Security Council. However, it officially does not come into existence until the HoR incorporates the LPA into Libya law with an amendment to the 2011 Constitutional Declaration which acts as Libya’s interim constitution. So far, that has not happened.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba opens First Phase of Tripoli’s Third Ring Road

On the day of first direct Tripoli to Rome flight, MoU signed between Libyan Civil Aviation and its Italian counterpart

On Tuesday, however, a number of past and, till then, current members of the GNC took matters into their own hands, declared the LPA approved, the GNC dissolved and the State Council now in session, with themselves as its participants. Misratan politician Abdulrahman Sewehli was elected president of the body, former GNC second deputy president Saleh Makhzoum its first deputy president, Mohamed Emazab from Ajdabiya its second deputy president, and Ajaili Abusudair from Garabulli as rapporteur.

In addition to its premature launch, the State Council, whose role as set out in the LPA is as an advisory chamber, has started acting as if it is a legislature, provoking criticism from several observers. British ambassador Peter Millett tweeted “State Council is not a legislative organ under LPA. It is consultative. Legislative authority is House of Reps”.

This evening, that criticism was echoed in Martyrs’ Square by a huge crowd insisting that the only legitimate legislature in the country was the HoR.

The demonstration is a major change from the situation until just a few days ago where the square was the platform for Islamists and supporters of the Khalifa Ghwell/Nuri Abu Sahmain regime, and constantly resounded to anti-HoR rhetioric. This evening, instead, many of the protestors were carrying placards expressing full support for the HoR as the sole legitimate body in the country and the demand that the Government of National Accord (GNA) first obtain the Tobruk parliament’s approval before it too takes up office.

In another potentially significant change, there were voices in the square for the first time backing the army in Benghazi in its fight against terrorism and also rejecting the growing call in the east for self-determination.

“The atmosphere is amazing,” one of the demonstrators, Sami Gati, told the Libya Herald. “Tripolitians are determined to open their mouths and voice their backing for parliament and the army in Benghazi but also their rejection of the farce of the State Council.”

Meanwhile the situation is further complicated by claims that Sewehli cannot be president of the State Council as he is as member of the House of Representatives. HoR member Saleh Al-Sahbi said that for him to be a member of the Council was a violation of the LPA.

In Sebha too there have been protests against his election, with demands that the State Council be based there.

In another development, some former members of the GNC loyal to National Forces Alliance leader Mahmoud Jibril are also threatening to continue Libya’s new tradition of having two of everything – parliaments, governments, sovereign institutions and more – by constituting themselves as a separate state council, based in Benghazi. The threat is not, however, seen as serious. [/restrict]

Tags: Abdulrahman SewehlifeaturedLibyaState CouncilTripoli

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
HoR vote on unity government “no later than 18 April” says Shouaib; confirms Libya Dialogue team to meet on Thursday to address LPA violations by State Council

HoR vote on unity government “no later than 18 April” says Shouaib; confirms Libya Dialogue team to meet on Thursday to address LPA violations by State Council

Overnight gunfire near Serraj's Tripoli naval base HQ

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.