No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

HoR opens debate on national unity government; to continue tomorrow

byMichel Cousins
February 21, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
HoR opens debate on national unity government; to continue tomorrow

Today's HoR Session was suspended by Ageela Saleh due to disruption by Federalists (Photo: Archive video grab thanks to Libya's Channel)

By Saber Ayyub.

Today's HoR Session being suspended by Ageela Saleh (Photo: Video grab  thanks to Libya's Channel)
Today’s HoR Session being suspended by Ageela Saleh (Photo: Video grab from Libya’s Channel)

Tripoli, 20 February 2016:

Heated arguments marked the House of Representatives’ (HoR’s) debate today over whether to approve the latest . . .[restrict]government proposed by prime minister-elect Faiez Serraj. He was accompanied by all the Presidency Council members apart from Ahmed Maetig, Mohamed Ammari and Abdessalam Kajman. Even Ali Gatrani who refused to endorse the nominations and suspended his membership of the Council was present.

In today’s session, Council member Fathi Al-Majbri defended it against accusations that it was hopelessly divided and that the three absent Council members did not recognise the HoR’s authority or legitimacy.

The first accusation referred to the refusal of Gatranui and Omar Aswad to approve the proposed cabinet.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Taking a tough line, Majbri said that the Council was the result of more than a year’s negotiations in which the HoR had been fully involved.

“You cannot judge us now over the presence of some members in the council, or any of us. We are the result of the dialogue process brokered by the UN that you accepted and approved. Of course, you have the complete authority to cancel that approval right now if you like,” he said.

It was perfectly natural tothat there were differences of opinion within the Council, he said, because its members were from different places and with different views. It was also true that some Council members were unhappy with the HoR. But the Council’s goal was national unity and saving the country.

“The Parliament accepted this from the start for the sake of Libya, and now it has to continue for the sake of the ordinary people who are suffering in their daily life,” he declared.

Referring to the thorny issue of the army and of Khalifa Hafter, he said that there had to be a civilian in charge of the defence ministry not a general.

“I completely support the army and its leadership . . . but at the same time I see the importance of having a civilian holding the office of the Defence Minister. That is what any civilised country should have,” he explained.

It was not easy, he added, consulting with every member of the HoR about the new government within the deadline given, but he and others had tried to listen to as many as possible about its formation, he said.

Strong Cyrenaica difference of opinion marked the session. There was a row between the HoR’s Defence and National Security Committee member Fathallah Saiti and Ali Gatrani, while Majberi accused Gatrani of having threatened to ensure that he would never be able to return to Cyrenaica again.

The row is seen as relating to the split within the east between those who support Hafter and those who are more interested in federalism. Gatrani is a Hafter loyalist while Majberi is a federalist and a close ally of Ajdabiya’s Ibrahim Jadhran. Saiti is one of the three Ajdabiya members.

Following an impassioned appeal on behalf of the people of Sirte, the increasingly raucus session was finally brought to an early close by the president, Ageela Saleh. It will reconvene tomorrow, Sunday, at 10am. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredLibya

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post
Ghwell “happy” with US Sabratha raid but Thinni government condemns it

Ghwell "happy" with US Sabratha raid but Thinni government condemns it

Sabratha changes tune, calls for action against IS

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

“Transition to Clean Energy in Fezzan” symposium held by University of Fezzan and supported by NOC

CBL reaches agreement with importers to urgently deliver 2.5 million boxes of cooking oil

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.