No Result
View All Result
Sunday, May 24, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Women should have at least 30 percent of government posts says Kobler

byMichel Cousins
January 12, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Women should have at least 30 percent of government posts says Kobler

Kobler

By Libya Herald reporter.

Kobler
Martin Kobler (back to camera) addressing the women’s conference (Photo: UNSMIL)

Tunis, 12 January 2016:

UN Special Envoy Martin Kobler has called for women to hold 30 percent of the . . .[restrict]posts in the new Government of National Accord.

It is supposed to chosen by the nine-member Presidency Council by Saturday and then voted on by the House of Representatives by 26 January.

Kobler made his call at the opening yesterday of a three-day conference in Tunis of women activists and women’s groups from across Libya. In addition to the 30-percent threshold, he said he would ask the Presidency Council to take onboard three other requests. These were: the establishment of a women’s empowerment unit under the council as soon as possible; for women to have “adequate” representation on all the committees under the Libyan Political Agreement; and for women to have “a focal point” on the council.

RELATED POSTS

General Union of Chambers signs training agreement with UN body

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

In contrast to the call, the council’s members, appointed by the UN-led Libya Dialogue, are all male. Not one, let alone 30 percent, are female.

“The role of the women in peace and security is of utmost importance,” Kobler said in his address at the event, entitled ‘Discussing the Competencies of the Women’s Empowerment Unit under the Presidency Council’. “Women make up half of the society, but they are the most to suffer. Their sons are dying every day in battles, their families are torn apart by conflict and their personal safety is compromised by the continuing senseless violence and lawlessness.”

It was vital that Libyan women play a major role “at this important juncture in Libya’s history”, he added.

“For this you have my full and unwavering support. It will not only advance your participation in state building but it will also bring enormous benefits to Libya”.

The HoR’s deputy president Emhemed Shouaib and HoR member for Sabratha Almabruk Elkabir Al-Khattabi also attended the meeting. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredLibyawomen

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Counter Crime Agency in Benghazi attacked; clashes in Belawn

Historic Obari castle damaged in renewed Tebu-Tuareg fighting

Historic Obari castle damaged in renewed Tebu-Tuareg fighting

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Bosnia Herzegovina engineering company Energoinvest signs € 2.71 million contract with Libyan Iron and Steel Co to construct a power station

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.