No Result
View All Result
Monday, May 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Widespread shock and horror at Zliten carnage

byNigel Ash
January 7, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Widespread shock and horror at Zliten carnage

Mourners crowd scores of coffins today in Zliten's cemetery (Photo: Zliten (Council)

By Libya Herald reporters.

Mourners crowd scores of coffins today in Zliten's cemetery (Photo: Zliten (Council)
Mourners crowd scores of coffins today in Zliten’s cemetery (Photo: Zliten (Council)

Tripoli and Tunis, 7 January 2016:

There have been horrified reactions to today’s suicide-bombing carnage in Zliten’s security training centre . . .[restrict]which slew as many as 70 cadets and injured hundreds more.

As mass funerals began for the victims of the deadliest single attack since the Revolution, the Ghwell administration in Tripoli declared three days of mourning. Besides Zliten, the injured were taken to hospitals in Khoms, Misrata and Tripoli, where urgent appeals went out for donations of blood and for all available medical staff to come and assist. The Beida Ministry of Health said it was sending anaesthetics and other medical supplies from Benghazi and Tobruk.

“The closer we are getting to finding a consensus that heals the nation’s wounds, the more terror attacks will increase” said Faiez Serraj, prime-minister designate of the new Government of National Accord, “The terrorists are interested only in spreading fear and distracting Libyans from their real battle, which is consensus and state-building”.

RELATED POSTS

Zliten hosts Libyan Tunisian business forum

LBBC trade delegation ends busy Tripoli visit – continues to Zliten and Misrata

The GNA said that it had formed working groups to link with health services in Tunisia, Egypt and Morocco to assist with urgent medical supplies. UNSMIL also said that it was helping organise international medical support.

UNSMIL chief Martin Kobler was among the first to react to the tragedy when he called Zliten’s mayor to deplore the massacre. He said later that he was shocked at this reprehensible attack.  It was a heinous act that once again showed “urgent progress is required toward the formation of the Government of National Accord and the activation and rebuilding of Libyan security forces”.

He warned: “This attack comes at a time when fighting is still going on at oil facilities in Sidra. Libya cannot afford to remain divided in the face of such serious terrorist threat”.

EU Foreign Affairs chief Federica Mogherini, who is due in Tunis tomorrow to meet Serraj, said that once again Libyans had been targeted by terrible violence and once again they were mourning the results. The rapid acceptance of the GNA would help defend everyone.

She added: “It will also help preserve Libya’s resources, defeat terrorists that want to undermine Libya’s prosperity and restore stability and security throughout the country”.

Italian foreign minister Paolo Gentiloni said that Italy stood solidly with the Libyans but that the terrorist threat had first to be confronted by the unity of all Libyans”. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredLibyamassacrereactionsZliten

Related Posts

Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June
Libya

Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

May 15, 2026
CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

CBL renews call for closure of unofficial FX sales outlets – as dinar begins to slide again

May 12, 2026
Next Post
Black plumes from oil tank fires seen from space

Black plumes from oil tank fires seen from space

Anger over Zliten attack turns towards TV stations

Anger over Zliten attack turns towards TV stations

Top Stories

  • Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL renews call for closure of unofficial FX sales outlets – as dinar begins to slide again

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

Minister of Housing from Baku: Completion and construction of 150,000 housing units and the transition towards smart cities‎ is the aim

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.