No Result
View All Result
Sunday, February 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

UN envoy Kobler rebuffed by GNC in Tripoli; visits Tawerghan camp

byMichel Cousins
January 2, 2016
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
UN envoy Kobler rebuffed by GNC in Tripoli; visits Tawerghan camp

By Saber Ayyub and Ajnadin Mustafa. 

IMG_2662
Martin Kober does a little New Year shopping in Libya (Photo: Social media)

Tripoli, 1 January 2015:

An attempt by UN envoy to Libya Martin Kobler to convince the Tripoli-based General . . .[restrict]National Congress (GNC) to support the Libya Political Agreement (LPA) agreed in last month in Skhirat and the Government of National Accord (GNA) and led by prime minister-designate Faiez Serraj ended in failure today in talks in the Libyan capital with GNC president Nuri Abu Sahmain. At a press conference afterwards, the deputy GNC president, Awad Abdul Saddeq insisted that there would be no acceptance of the Skhirat deal. Kobler’s own plans to speak to the media meanwhile were prevented by the regime’s foreign media boss, Jamal Zubia, who said the UN envoy did not have his permission to speak to the press.

Kobler did, however, visit a Tawerghan refugee camp in the city and afterwards managed to speak briefly to the press during which he insisted that the LPA was the only deal on the table. It had full international support, he said, could not be changed and had to be accepted.

He also rejected the rival “Libya-Libya” dialogue championed by Abu Sahmain, saying it had to stop.

RELATED POSTS

“Building Libyan National Capacities in the Fields of Combating Corruption and Money Laundering 2025–2027” agreement signed between ACA and UNSMIL at Anti-Corruption event

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

Kobler, who had secured the support of House of Representative president Ageela Saleh for the LPA at a meeting in Beida yesterday, flew to Tripoli accompanied by his Libya security operations adviser General Paolo Serra to tell the GNC that it could still join the process. In addition to Abu Sahmain, he also met with a number of the regime’s leading figures including Khalifa Ghwell, the head of Tripoli administration, and Mustafa Nouh, the head of intellegnce.

Rejecting the LPA, Abu Sahmain instead urged Kobler to accept the “Libya-Libya” dialogue initiated by Congress. The GNC president was also reported to have expressed his total opposition to UN negotiations between Serra and military officials to try and ensure security in Tripoli for the Serraj government.

Kobler was then supposed to speak in a press conference about the talks but this was derailed by an outburst from Tripoli’s foreign media spokesman Jamal Zubia who claimed that he had not given Kobler approval to do so and threatened to cancel the accreditation of all journalists attending the meeting as a result.

At a result of the proceedings, the deputy GNC president Awad Abdul Saddeq gave a solo press conference at which he stated that the position of the GNC towards the Skhirat deal had not changed and could not change because it had not been part of the final negotiations.

Those from the GNC who had signed the deal, he said, had not officially represented the body. Saleh Makhzoum, the second deputy GNC president who had signed, would be investigated with the intention of sacking him, he added, claiming that he had not attended the GNC for over 20 sessions.

He too condemned about the arrangements to secure Tripoli being discussed by General Serra.

Kobler meanwhile visited the Tawerghan refugee camp in Tripoli’s Falah district, meeting a number of families as well as members of Tawergha local council all of whom were evicted from the town in 2011. He was briefed by the council as well as elders and women activists about the dire conditions in the camp. In response he pledged that the UN would do its utmost to improve their conditions and ensure they and other displaced people in Libya could return home by the end of 2016.

Before flying off, Kobler managed to speak at a hastily reorganised but short press conference at which he insisted that the prime purpose of his visit had been to convence the GNC to get aboard the UN-approved political process as quickly as possible. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredGeneral National CongressLibyaMartin KoblerNuri Abu SahmainUNSMIL

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Tripoli Criminal Court convicts five Waha bank employees for LD 131 million corruption

February 22, 2026
Mental health services in Libya almost non-existent – approximately one million people need mental health care: WHO 2020 report
Libya

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

February 21, 2026
Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts
Libya

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

February 21, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
Next Post
Kobler insulted and forced to leave Tripoli promptly

Kobler insulted and forced to leave Tripoli promptly

Serraj holds GNA meeting in Tunis

Serraj holds GNA meeting in Tunis

Top Stories

  • Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts

    Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Kufra airport activates runway and taxiway lighting enabling nighttime flights

Newly created Libyan United Airlines reveals logo – stresses it is a privately owned airline

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.