No Result
View All Result
Sunday, February 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Libyan Revolutionaries’ Operations Room threatens Misrata over helicopter downing

byMichel Cousins
November 1, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Ajnadin Mustafa.

Tripoli, 1 November 2015:

The Tripoli-based Libya Revolutionaries’ Operations Room (LROR) has threatened action against brigades from Misrata following the . . .[restrict]shooting down of a helicopter flying from Tripoli to Zawia last week, killing all on board including a number of Libya Dawn top brass.

Without actually mentioning the Misratans, it said in a statement issued yesterday that only the General National Congress (GNC) could approve truce agreements and that anyone who negotiated with the “Army of the Tribes” (the term Tripoli uses for the Wershefana and other militia operating west of the capital) without GNC approval was committing treason and therefore deserved severe punishment.

The Halbous, Mahjoub and other Misratan brigades signed truces with the Wershafana and other forces west of Tripoli during the summer and then pulled out of the area, much to the fury of the more hardline members of the Libya Dawn alliance. When, following the crash, the GNC and its chief of staff called for military action against the Wershefana who stood accused of downing the helicopter, both the Halbous and Mahjoub refused, saying they would stick to their truce.

RELATED POSTS

Third edition of Banking and Business Technology Forum kicked off in Misrata under patronage of Central Bank of Libya

59 containers loaded with boats seized in Misrata suspected of being intended for use in illegal immigration operations

In yesterday’s statement, the LROR angrily accused the Misratans of co-responsibility for the crash, along with the “Army of the Tribes”, because of the truce with them.

The Wershfana have denied any involvement in the incident – a denial that has been accepted by elders in Zawia.

The LROR statement is likely to deepen divisions within the Libya Dawn alliance even further.

The LROR was set up two years ago by GNC president Nuri Abu Sahmain ostensibly to protect the legislature and the capital, and was supposedly answerable directly to him. Former prime minister Ali Zeidan accused it of involvement in his kidnapping in October 2013. [/restrict]

Tags: General National CongressLibyaLibya Revolutionaries Operations RoomMisrata

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Tripoli Criminal Court convicts five Waha bank employees for LD 131 million corruption

February 22, 2026
Mental health services in Libya almost non-existent – approximately one million people need mental health care: WHO 2020 report
Libya

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

February 21, 2026
Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts
Libya

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

February 21, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
Next Post

Sewehli in talks with Tunisian president

Ban Ki-moon says Leon stays for peace process continuity

Ban Ki-moon says Leon stays for peace process continuity

Top Stories

  • Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts

    Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Kufra airport activates runway and taxiway lighting enabling nighttime flights

Newly created Libyan United Airlines reveals logo – stresses it is a privately owned airline

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.