No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Plans announced to rebuild Tripoli’s international airport

byMichel Cousins
August 16, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Ajnadin Mustafa.

Tripoli, 16 August 2015:

Less than a week after the Beida-based government announced that Tripoli International Airport had been renamed . . .[restrict]Idris International Airport after the late King Idris, an official based in the capital has unveiled a plan to rebuild its destroyed terminal and other buildings.

Mohamed Beitelmal, head of the airport authority, said that the plan to reconstruct the terminal had been decided by Khalifa Ghwell, Tripoli-based premier appointed by the General National Congress (GNC).

The Organisation for Development of Administrative Centers (ODAC) has been asked to sign a contract with specialised companies to carry out the procurement, according to Beitelmal.

RELATED POSTS

LPTIC Chairman tours Tripoli International Airport – emphasises need to accelerate pace of completion of telecoms work

First asphalt layer being put down at Tripoli International Airport

“Currently, local firms have begun to remove debris from the site and prepare the area,” he said, adding that he had already held several meetings with the authorities over scrap metal recycling.

The airport has been out of action since it was destroyed by Libya Dawn fighters led Misratan hardliner Salah Badi in summer 2014 and the internationally recognised government fled to Beida.

According to Beitelmal, a technical team comprising the airport authority and ODAC has been formed to work with a Turkish company, and is preparing a draft plan for the construction and its completion.

Without elaborating on the cost of project, the official said the plan envisaged further studies which would be offered to the Tripoli-based government.

The reconstruction cost, however, has previously been estimated to be at least one billion dollars.

The latest announcement does not appear to take into account the unfinished new terminal, work on which started before the revolution by Aeroports de Paris.

The airport, originally built by the Italians and named Castel Benito Airport after the Italian dictator Benito Mussolini, was renamed Idris Airport in 1951 and remained as such until 1969 when it became Tripoli International Airport. [/restrict]

Tags: Idris International AiportLibyaTripoli International Airport

Related Posts

CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

CBL Governor & Interior Minister discuss action plan to curb FX black-market, reduce smuggling across borders and imports outside banking system

May 18, 2026
NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port
Business

Mellitah Oil and Gas completes maintenance on well A-28 in Abu Attifel field – reducing water to zero, increasing production to 2,490 bpd

May 18, 2026
Economy Minister Hwej reviews his ministry’s implementation of its 2023 plan and issues several directives
Business

Economy Ministry accredits seven international inspection companies to inspect imports of medicines & medical equipment at ports of origin

May 18, 2026
CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

May 17, 2026
Ministry of Housing in discussions with Ernst & Young in London
Business

Minister of Housing from Baku: Completion and construction of 150,000 housing units and the transition towards smart cities‎ is the aim

May 17, 2026
CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

Numisma Bank pledges to supply record amounts of cash dollars to the Central Bank of Libya in its Second Phase of cash injection to the Libyan market

May 17, 2026
Next Post

Low turn-out forces eight-day extension of Amazigh voter listing

IS and Ansar falling out with Benghazi allies: reports

IS and Ansar falling out with Benghazi allies: reports

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

CBL Governor & Interior Minister discuss action plan to curb FX black-market, reduce smuggling across borders and imports outside banking system

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.