No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, February 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Death sentences cause little surprise in Tripoli

byMichel Cousins
July 28, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporter.

Tripoli, 28 July 2015:

It was no surprise. Nine of the 37 Qaddafi regime defendants on trial in Tripoli . . .[restrict]have been sentenced to death by firing squad. Among them Saif Al-Islam, Muammar Qaddafi’s son, as well as Abdullah Senussi, the former chief of the military intelligence, Abuzeid Dorda, the ex-head of the spy service, and Al-Baghdadi Al-Mahmoudi, the former prime minister. They were all accused of war crimes, of having brought mercenaries to Libya and of have caused divisions among Libyan tribes.

Eight others have been sentenced to life prison. The others will face more or less long prison sentences.

Jibril Kadiki, a former general and close to Saif Al-Islam fainted when he heard his sentence. Guards had to take him out of the courtroom. He was later taken to hospital by ambulance. Another defendant sentenced to death shouted: «Muslim Brotherhood, Al Qaeda, it is not fair justice» after the judge finished sentencing. Abdullah Senussi remained calm, his arms crossed on his chest. Abuzeid Dorda smiled from time to time, especially when journalists looked at him.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Right after the session, Ali Kabar, al-Mahmoudi’s lawyer, said he would launch an appeal: “We weren’t able to call our witnesses because they’re afraid to come to Tripoli. The judgement has been too quick. We weren’t able to examine closely the 4,000 pages of the case.”

As in earlier sessions, the road in front of the court was closed off by heavy armed vehicles. More recently, though, security was much less strict and the road was open. The Libya Herald could, for the first time, see policemen with anti-riot equipment inside the courtroom building at Hadba prison.

But there were no pro or anti-Qaddafi demonstrations on the streets. In fact, the mood throughout the city was subdued and quiet. “Who cares about them anymore? Every Libyan knows they are guilty,” a customer in a downtown coffee told this newspaper. “We’re facing much more serious problems like the lack of money and terrorism.”

Saif Al-Islam has not been present in the flesh in the courtroom since the beginning of the proceedings. He is being held by Zintanis who do not recognise the Tripoli-based administration. In a press conference after the court session, the chief prosecutor, Siddiq El-Sur, said Saif el-Islam had been sentenced in absentia but claimed it was totally legal. [/restrict]

Tags: Abdullah SenussiLibyaSaif Al-Islam

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 18, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Next Post

UNSMIL and international human rights organisations blast Qaddafi regime court case as flawed and unfair

HoR approves amnesty law

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • LIA discusses with China’s Chargé d’affaires reinvesting Libya’s Security Council frozen assets to preserve their value

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

Ministry of Economy invites Serbian companies to participate in 52nd Tripoli International Fair

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.