No Result
View All Result
Monday, May 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Russians and Chinese veto UN sanctions on Sewehli and Milaiqtah

byNigel Ash
July 2, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Russians and Chinese veto UN sanctions on Sewehli and Milaiqtah

QaaQaa chief Othman Milaiqtah (Photo: social meda)

By Hadi Fornaji.

Abdulrahman Swehli (Photo: Sami Zaptia).
Abdulrahman Sewehli (Photo: Sami Zaptia)

Tripoli, 6 June 2015
Both Russia and China have blocked a move to sanction two Libyans for obstructing the peace . . .[restrict]process, arguing that more time was needed to consider the implications of the move.

France, Spain, the UK and the USA had proposed to the 15-member committee chaired by Malaysia’s Ramian Ibrahim, that travel bans and asset  freezes be imposed on Abdulrahman Sewehli and Othman Milaiqtah. Had there been no objections, the sanctions on the pair would have kicked in yesterday evening.

QaaQaa chief Othman Milaiqtah (photo: social media)
QaaQaa chief Othman Milaiqtah (Photo: Social media)

Sewehli is a boycotting Misrata member of the House of Representatives, to which he was elected last June. He was also a member of the General National Congress and now sits in the rump of the former parliament.

Milaiqtah is the commander of Zintan’s Qaaqaa Brigade but was seriously injured in February 2014, in what  his brother Abdulmajid claimed was an assassination attempt but which others claimed was a car smash at Ras Al-Afaa near Aziziya. Either way, it is believed that Milaiqtah is still undergoing treatment abroad, some sources say in Jordan.

RELATED POSTS

Tripoli based Libyan PM Aldabaiba takes part in Q&A as part of Tripoli Media Days – talks about Russia, corruption, El-Kaber, Bengdara and elections

Facilities Security Authority meets Russian and Italian ambassadors – discusses training and provision of security to returning companies

According to a Reuters report, the Russians announced they opposed to sanctions on both men because they considered the request had been made in a rush and not thought through properly. They said that the proposal needed “to be considered by relevant agencies of the Russian Federation”.

The Chinese were reported to have said “The political dialogue among all Libyan parties brokered by the UN is at the critical junction. Any measures adopted by the [sanctions] committee should facilitate the current dialogue process. We should be very careful and take more time to consider this issue”.

The talks are indeed at a delicate stage with negotiating teams due to meet again in Skhirat, Morocco on Monday. It is unclear if there was co-ordination between the four states that proposed the Sewehli/Milaiqtah sanctions and UNSMIL chief Bernardino Leon, who is brokering the peace dialogue. The move appeared to be an attempt to be even handed, in that Swehli is a supporter of Libya Dawn whereas Milaiqtah and his brigade appear to be allied with the government and the HoR.

 

LCDF support banner [/restrict] [/restrict]

Tags: ChinafeaturedLibyaMilaiqtahRussiasanctionsSwehliUN

Related Posts

Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June
Libya

Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

May 15, 2026
CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

CBL renews call for closure of unofficial FX sales outlets – as dinar begins to slide again

May 12, 2026
Next Post
Spain’s defence minister wants international action against IS in Libya

Spain's defence minister wants international action against IS in Libya

IS grabs 88 Eritrean Christians

IS grabs 88 Eritrean Christians

Top Stories

  • Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL renews call for closure of unofficial FX sales outlets – as dinar begins to slide again

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

Minister of Housing from Baku: Completion and construction of 150,000 housing units and the transition towards smart cities‎ is the aim

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.