No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, February 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Police sting busts Benghazi people-smugglers

byNigel Ash
June 11, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Police sting busts Benghazi people-smugglers

The airless room where 70 migrants were held (Photo: social media)

By Adam Ali and Ayman Amzein.

The airless room where 70 migrants were held (Photo: social media)
The bare and airless room where 70 migrants were held (Photo: social media)

Benghazi, 10 June  2015:

At the end of a risky sting operation, Benghazi police have arrested a . . .[restrict]people-smuggling gang along with 70 of the migrants they were preparing to launch into the Mediterranean on two flimsy open fishing boats and an inflatable raft.

An individual, who the police have not identified, had passed himself off as a migrant and led the police to gang and their passengers, who he said had each paid the smugglers up to $1,500 for their voyage.

The bust, near the desalination plant at Al-Kawafia, was resisted by the people-smugglers and reinforcements  were needed before the gang was overcome. No details have been given of any casualties nor the number of smugglers arrested but the police said they were all Libyans.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan Islamist accused of assassinating four in US Benghazi Consulate in 2012 arrives under arrest in Washington DC

LBC Eastern Branch holds Benghazi Forum

The migrants were a mix of nationalities from Syria, Chad, Sudan, Egypt and Tunisia. They included women and children. They had been held for an undisclosed period in a small building without sanitation or running water. The SIM cards from their phones had been removed so that they could not give way their position.

Tarak Kharraz, of Benghazi’s Criminal Investigation Unit told the Libya Herald “We managed to capture the smugglers all of whom turn out to be Libyans. They are currently being questioned”.

Kharraz said that all the migrants caught in the raid would be returned to their countries.

People smuggling is apparently rare from the east of Libya. The great majority of migrants is launched by human-trafficking gangs from the west of the country which is controlled by Libya Dawn. This trade is dominated by local militias.  It is not yet known what connections, if any, the arrested Benghazi smugglers may have had to any militia.

LCDF support banner

  [/restrict]

Tags: Al-KawafiaBenghazifeaturedLibyapeople smugglersTarak Kharraz

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 18, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Next Post

11,646 Tripoli Uni student grants claimed using wrong NID Numbers

Optimism among Dialogue delegates in Berlin but warnings that latest Draft will need amendements

Optimism among Dialogue delegates in Berlin but warnings that latest Draft will need amendements

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • LIA discusses with China’s Chargé d’affaires reinvesting Libya’s Security Council frozen assets to preserve their value

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of technical study assessing existing damage to Zumurrud Mall project completed

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.