No Result
View All Result
Thursday, May 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

CCMCE “surprised” at Thinni government’s move to set up rival election authority

byMichel Cousins
June 8, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporter.

Tripoli, 8 June 2015:

The Central Committee for Municipal Council Elections (CCMCE) says it is suprised and puzzled at plans . . .[restrict]by the Thinni government in Beida to set up a rival authority to organise local elections.

“We saw it on Facebook but we’ve not seen any official decree from Abdullah Al-Thinni yet,” a CCMCE official told the Libya Herald.

“We don’t know why they are doing it at this time,” the official added, noting that the organisation had, like many state institutions, carried on its work over the past year, and had done so relatively successfully, despite the de facto existence of two competing administrations.

RELATED POSTS

Spanish visiting medical team perform joint operations in Beida, US-based consultant visiting in Zintan

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

“We’ve worked hard in difficult conditions to organise almost all the municipal elections in the country. What did we do wrong to be replaced? What’s wrong with our work and results?” he asked.

“The municipal councils we’ve created are working and fine. They’re even recognised by the international community,” he added.

There were serious concerns, too, as to how  a new committee would work. “What happens to our debts and the data and our materials?” the official wanted to know.

The CCMCE is seen as one of the great Libyan political success stories since the revolution – possibly the only serious and lasting success one so far. It has run elections and seen councils and mayors appointed in some 80 municipalities, some huge like Benghazi and Misrata, others very small in terms of population but spread over a large area – and done so with serious budget constraints. It has still only received half its allocated budget – and during the administration of Ali Zeidan who had wanted to appoint mayors sometimes faced government difficulties.

At the moment there are just seven municipalities awaiting elections, all of them in the west of the country – Darj (near Ghadames) Aziziya, Al-Jmail, Ajilat, Yefren and Bani Walid.

However, the Thinni government is reported to have decided to carve out eight new municipalities in the east of the country, and it may be for this that it has opted to set up a Beida-based body.

There is also a particular irony in doing so. The first municipal council elections organised by the CCMCE and then the election of Libya’s first mayor since the time of the monarchy, were in Beida, a year and a half ago.

No one has suggested that the results were anything other than very satisfactory. [/restrict]

Tags: BeidaCentral Committee for Municipal Council ElectionsLibyaThinni government

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
Another Tripoli kidnapping; second time for CBL spokesman

Another Tripoli kidnapping; second time for CBL spokesman

Ajdabiya volunteers clean up dangerous sand-clogged highway

Ajdabiya volunteers clean up dangerous sand-clogged highway

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Industry Pioneers Conference and Forum held in Tripoli – as a national platform to support Libyan industry and enhance economic partnership

Austria’s OMV opens Benghazi office and holds meeting to discuss Contract Development Area No. 91

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.