No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Three top Islamist commanders die in fierce Benghazi fighting: report

byNigel Ash
April 12, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Three top Islamist commanders die in fierce Benghazi fighting: report

Smoke rises today fro Benghazi's Suq Al-Arab (Photo:social media)

By Adam Ali.

Smoke rises today fro Benghazi's Suq Al-Arab (Photo:social media)
Smoke rises today from Benghazi’s Suq Al-Arab (Photo: Social media)

Benghazi, 11 April 2015:

The army is claiming to have killed three leading Islamist commanders along with other fighters as . . .[restrict]it continued the drive into Hawari which it launched on Monday.  Nine solders are said to have lost their lives.

There are unconfirmed reports that one of the dead Islamists could be Mohamed Dersi, who was released a year ago from a Jordanian jail in exchange for the freeing of Jordan’s kidnapped ambassador to Libya Fawwaz Al-Eitan. Dersi had been convicted of planning to blow up Amman’s Queen Ali Airport.

Sources give the names of the other two dead Islamist commanders as Abu Muthanna from the IS in Derna and Omran Ben Sufian from Zliten.

RELATED POSTS

First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

China’s Ambassador to Libya visits Benghazi on the inauguration of China’s COSCO direct shipping line to the city

An officer with the 204 Battalion told the Libya Herald that in the main fighting today, his force had destroyed six armoured vehicles and large calibre technicals of the Benghazi Revolutionaries’ Shoura Council (BRSC).  Fighting alongside the Saiqa 21 Battalion and local militias from Buhdeima, the 204 Battalion had, he said,  won control of Markbat Street.

For several hours, a large pall of smoke rose from the Suq Al-Arab where it was reported a missile had hit a shop with inflammable material.  The market, in the Sidi Abeid area, has slowly been returning to normal as the fighting moved away from it.

The army denied social media speculation that its troops had actually pressed on into Hawari and taken the works of the Libyan Cement Company. It does appear though, that a BRSC weapons store was hit in the fighting. An army spokesman did say, however, that forces were near the factory and able to attack.

Even though there are believed to be some 3,500 men under army command, progress has continued to be slow. The retreating Islamist are claimed to leave many booby traps behind. They also have some effective snipers. [/restrict]

Tags: 204 BattalionBenghaziBRSCBuhdeimafeaturedHawairLibyaSaiqa

Related Posts

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Next Post
Tobruk to dig new wells to ease water woes

Tobruk to dig new wells to ease water woes

Major fighting in Hawari and Garyounis, Ansar fighters reported captured

Major fighting in Hawari and Garyounis, Ansar fighters reported captured

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

CBL renews call on Economy Ministry to prohibit imports without payment through official bank transfers starting from 15 June

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.