No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Tuaregs enraged by Chief of Staff Nazhuri’s “terrorist” claim

byNewsdesk2
March 23, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald staff.

Tripoli, 22 March 2015:

Tuaregs are demanding that Chief of Staff Major General Abdul Razzaq Al-Nazhuri apologise for calling . . .[restrict]them “terrorists”.

In an interview on Friday, Nazhuri said that the current fighting in Obari is a war by the Libyan National Army (LNA) against terrorism.

The Social Council of the Tuaregs has strongly condemned Nazuri’s remark and is demanding an apology. His  unsubstantiated remarks, said the council, undermined his objectivity and his credibility.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

The Tuaregs called on the House of Representatives (HoR) and the government of Abdullah Al-Thinni to make make their position clear over what has been happening in Obari over the past six months.

Several members of the HoR have already expressed their disapproval of Nazhuri’s statement. The Dialogue Committee of the HoR condemned his “terrorist” reference saying that it negatively affected efforts to forge unity and peace.

HoR member and Tuareg representative Ibrahim Cranfoda said he was dismayed at what he said was Nazhuri’s politicizing of the conflict, adding, “All of us know this conflict is tribal in nature.”

HoR member Saleh Huma, who is one of the four official HoR representatives at the UN-brokered dialogue talks, said Nazhuri could not label an entire group of Libyans in this way.

The fight in Obari has been seen by many as mirroring the conflict between Operation Dignity and Libya Dawn along the coast.

Yesterday, a leading Tuareg commander in Obari was reported to have been killed in renewed fighting in the town between the pro-Libya Dawn Tuaregs and Tebu fighters loyal to the House of Representatives.

Fighting between Tebus and Tuaregs erupted in September when a pro-Libya Dawn Tuareg militia tried to take control of a local petrol station guarded by Tebus. A peace deal mediated by elders from local towns as well as by Zintanis later broke down.

Tuareg elders from Obari, as well as the town’s Tebus, have both pledged allegiance to the House of Representatives. The outcome of the current peace negotiations  remains in doubt, as the Tuareg armed groups involved in the recent violence appear to be beyond the control of Tuareg elders. [/restrict]

Tags: Abdul Razzaq Al-NazhuriHouse of RepresentativesLibyaObariTebutuareg

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Tribal leaders refuse dialogue outside Libya

Low-key funeral for slain Dawn commander

Low-key funeral for slain Dawn commander

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libyan Industry Union and National Economic and Social Development Board to sign MoU to support manufacturing business environment

CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.