No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

LNA attacks Mitiga airbase

byMichel Cousins
March 4, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporter:

rp_Mitiga-google-shot-2013-300x216.jpg

Tripoli, 3 March 2015:

An aircraft belonging to . . .[restrict]the Libya National Army (LNA) this morning bombed Mitiga airbase. There are also unconfirmed reports that it or another plane attacked the west Tripoli suburb of Janzour.

According to the commander of the Libyan air force, Saqr Adam Gerushi, the Tripoli raid was in reprisal for air attacks yesterday evening in Sidra and Ras Lanuf, which he blamed on the Misratans.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan carriers allowed to travel through EU airspace from Istanbul to Tripoli

Egyptian Civil Aviation Authority and Egypt Air inspection team visits Mitiga, Misrata and Sebha airports to assess readiness for flight resumption

In neither yesterday’s nor today’s attacks was there any serious damage. The target in Sidra appears to have been fuel tanks, but missile apparently landed nearby blowing a hole in the road. In Ras Lanouf, there was an explosion next to the small airport runway.

In Tripoli today, the pilot of the plane attacking Mitiga demonstrated the same lack of targeting skills. Three missiles appear to have been fired. While one hit a gate inside the base, the other two again simply ripped holes in the ground.

Flights to and from the airport were suspended for an hour but then resumed.

In Janzour, the target is said to be a facility being used by the Mobile Forces, part of Libya Dawn.

Reports that Misrata had been attacked are untrue. “Everything is normal”, a local resident told the Libya Herald. The mistake appears to have from Gerushi’s announcement that a raid was taking place in Mitiga and “would take place” in Misrata.

Potentially more serious are claims that in addition to yesterday’s attack on Sidra and Ras Lanuf, three oilfields also came under artillery fire at the same time. According to spokesman for Central Region Petroleum Facilities Guard (PFG), Ali Al-Hassi, the raids were launched by Islamic State forces and were still continuing this morning.

The three are Mabruk, some 170 kilometres southeast of Sirte and where at least ten people died in an IS attack at the beginning of February, as well as the nearby Bahi and Dahra fields. These came under IS attack shortly afterwards.

Yesterday, Hassi announced that attacks on Sidra and other oil terminals by Misratan forces and IS were “imminent”. His announcement today, if true, appears to indicate coordination between forces in Misrata and IS.

Moreover, this newspaper has been told by a senior former commander of one of the main battalions in the Benghazi Revolutionaries’ Shoura Council, that Misratan forces sent to confront IS forces in Sirte who have taken over the town, reached a deal with them, as a result of which a number left, heading towards Obari in the south.

It is not yet known if the Mitiga bombing will have consequences for the Thursday’s planned dialogue talks, to be held in Morocco. The first deputy president of the continuing General National Congress is due to make a press statement later today. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredLibyaLibyan National ArmyMitigaRas LanoufSidra

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

UN-led Libyan dialogue to resume in Morocco later this week

New offshore gas discovery announced by NOC

New offshore gas discovery announced by NOC

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.