No Result
View All Result
Monday, December 1, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

New delivery of Ilyushin-73 cargo transporter to LNA: report

bySami Zaptia
February 13, 2015
Reading Time: 4 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporter.

Malta, 13 February 2015:

The Libyan Air Force part of the Libyan National Army (LNA), the army representing the . . .[restrict]House of Representatives and Prime Minister Abdullah Thinni’s government, the only internationally recognized legislature and government in Libya, has announced that it has received a new Ilyushin cargo transporter.

There is no independent confirmation of this report.

Saqr Geroushi, head of the Libyan Air Force, was reported by LANA as saying that the Ilyushin-73 had arrived in Tobruk Thursday.

RELATED POSTS

CBL welcomes signing of Unified Development Agreement between HoR & High State Council: important step towards strengthening financial stability and unifying development efforts

Tripoli government confirms three track security policy: supporting regular army, ending gangs and armed outlaw groups and maintaining stability

It would provide important support to the Libya air force in its ‘’continuous battles against the so-called terrorist Libya Dawn militias and the extremist groups in the various parts of the western Libyan territories that have a wide geographical spread’’, LANA quoted Geroushi as saying.

The reported arrival of an Ilyushin transporter plane to the LNA/Dignity air force arsenal comes on the back of the mysterious destruction of another Ilyushin cargo plan at Mitiga airport at the end of January.

The plane was variously reported as having caught fire due to an electric fault, or due to  fire in a nearby fuel tanker or part of a planned military sabotage operation.

The report of the LNA/Dignity camp allegedly receiving reinforcements also comes on the back of a report at the beginning of January that they had received a new delivery of four Russian made Sukhoi SU-27 fighter jets.There had been no independent confirmation of that claim at the time either.

These jets would strengthen the capabilities of the LNA in the war it is waging against the ‘‘extremist and terrorist militias” in any place in Libya, the report had said .

Furthermore, the report had added that the SU-27 Russian-made fighter jet was capable of covering a distance of 3,530 km with a top speed of 2,500 kmh.

Meanwhile, a LNA official in Beida had informed the Libya Herald in December that four new Sukhoi jet fighter aircraft had been delivered by the Russians to Tobruk. They were not fully assembled, he had said, and it would be several days before they would be used.

In mid-December an official at the Zintan Operations Room (ZOR) had also claimed that two new fighter planes had been flown to the Wattiya airbase, south of Al-Jmail.

The ZOR commander had also declared that as a result of the new arrival of fighter jets, “Misrata will be targeted within hours”.

Again, there had been no independent confirmation either from Moscow or the government in Beida.

It is thought that the fighter jets may be the four Su-30MK2s which were part of a $1.6-billion contract signed by the Qaddafi regime at the beginning of 2010. It also included 14 Sukhoi Su-35 fighter planes, 6 Yak-130s and other armaments. Russia lifted its arms embargo on Libya in May 2012.

The two LNA aircraft operating at present out of Wattiya are also Sukhois, but reportedly were provided by the Egyptians.

What is clear is that while both camps and or their representative, on one level, are participating in the UN-brokered political dialogue in Ghadames-Geneve-Ghadames, they are also seeking to arm their military forces.

This is given some credibility by the recent meeting by Misrata’s Abdurrahman Sewehli, one of the leading opponents of the House of Representatives (HoR), in the Ukrainian capital Kiev with the Ukrainian Minister of Foreign Affairs, Pavlo Klimkin.

Meanwhile, former Libyan foreign minister Mohamed Adbulaziz, who acts as roving ambassador for HoR President Ageela Salah Gwaider, was in Moscow in a bid to build up new military ties with the Russians.

Although the exact nature of the talks in Kiev were unknown, Sewehli was reported as saying that his objective was to explain the views of those supporting Libya Dawn and to gain support for the GNC in Europe.

However, sources had said that the real aim of his trip was to acquire arms and munitions from Ukraine for Libya Dawn, known to be in need of new supplies.

In particular, he was said to be looking for equipment to turn two MiG 23s in Misrata’s possession into fully functioning fighter planes. He was also reportedly seeking two Libyan Ilyushin 76 transport planes currently in Ukraine awaiting repairs.

There are unconfirmed reports that Sewehli, a member of the reconstituted General National Congress and of the HoR, but which along with other Misratan members he is boycotting, had been the previous week in Montreux meeting a number of Libyan military officials invited to join in the UNSMIL dialogue taking place at the other end of Lake Geneva.

Meanwhile, in Moscow, Abdulaziz had indicated that Russia was well disposed to supplying the Libyan armed forces with equipment. According to the recently opened state-owned Sputnik news service, Abdulaziz had told the Russians that “Libya wants its military personnel to be trained by Russian specialists and to receive modern Russian weaponry” and that he had “met understanding of this issue from Russia”.

It had also quoted him saying at a press conference in Moscow: “We hope that this [military] cooperation will continue in two main areas — in the field of education and training of Libyan national [military] personnel and the provision of modern weapons to Libya.”

The prospect of the Libyan rivals gaining military support from warring Ukraine and Russia could prove highly awkward for some European states and especially the USA. It supports Kiev in its current struggle with Moscow. But if Kiev were to supply arms to the Hassi regime in Tripoli, which it does not recognize, it could cause a major political row in Washington. [/restrict]

Tags: HoR House of RepresentativesIlyushin 72Libya DawnLNA Libyan National ArmymilitiasSaqr Adam Geroushi

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Geroushi denies LNA jet fighter downed by Dawn-Shurooq forces

Egypt prepares to evacuate its workers over IS threat

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • LBBC concludes productive Benghazi visit strengthening UK-Libya business collaboration

    Libya’s energy transition represents one of North Africa’s most significant infrastructure opportunities: LBBC Chairman Peter Millett

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC chairman participates in expanded meeting on new fuel import mechanism through tender

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.