No Result
View All Result
Thursday, February 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Demonstrators gather for 20th consecutive Tripoli protest

bythomwestcott
December 6, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Demonstrators gather for 20th consecutive Tripoli protest

some protestors carried defaced images of CDA head Ali Tarhouni (photo: )

By Libya Herald staff.

some protestors carried defaced images of CDA head Ali Tarhouni (photo: )
Some protestors in Martyrs’ Square carried placards showing defaced images of CDA head Ali Tarhouni (photo: Tom Westcott)

Tripoli, 6 December 2014:

Some 300 protestors gathered in Martyrs’ Square in Tripoli yesterday for the 20th consecutive Friday . . .[restrict]protest against a range of personalities and institutions, including UN Special Envoy Bernadino Leon, head of the Constitutional Drafting Assembly Ali Tarhouni, Khalifa Hafter, the House of Representatives and the Libyan National Army.

“The first thing is that we support the 17th February Revolution, and after that we are against the parliament in Tobruk because it has joined with the Emirates and Egypt and is bombing us,” protestor Ali Aboud told the Libya Herald.

“Now people are also making demands of Ali Tarhouni, asking for the draft constitution,” he said. “He should have completed the draft by 24th August but instead he has ignored the GNC and has joined with Tobruk.” Aboud claimed that the GNC had sent a letter to Tarhouni last week demanding to know about the progress of the draft constitution but so far this too had been ignored.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Another image sowing a defaced picture of UN Special Envoy Bernadino Leon (photo: Tom Westcott)
Another image sowing a defaced picture of UN Special Envoy Bernadino Leon (photo: Tom Westcott)

“We believe the constitution should be what saves and unites Libya, and helps rebuild the country,” another protestor said. He carried a hand-written placard echoing this sentiment.

A dislike for Leon and his continued efforts to bring together different powers in Libya to engage in dialogue were made very clear, with several images of and messages to him written on signs around the square.

Protesters with a Libya Dawn collection box (Photo: Tome Westcott)
Protesters with a Libya Dawn collection box (Photo: Tom Westcott)

During the protest collection boxes were carried around the edges of the protest. The Arabic written on one of these read “Charity to Support Fajr Libya.” Aboud explained that the money was for people from Benghazi and Kikla who had lost their homes or been forcibly displaced by ongoing fighting in the towns.

Defaced images of Tarhouni and Hifter were also carried by some protestors, whilst many other waved flags.

Various speakers took to a stage, which had been erected in front of the historic Red Castle with a specially section condoned off section for female protestors. Most focused on condemning the recent airstrikes on Western Libyan sites, including Zuwara, the Ras Jedir border crossing and Ghariyan.

  [/restrict]

Tags: featuredLibya

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 18, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Next Post
Scuba-diving features at International Volunteer Day celebrations

Scuba-diving features at International Volunteer Day celebrations

HoR to make Hafter Commander-in-Chief of Libyan army: report

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • National Development Agency signs partnership agreement with Signify Philips to enhance lighting projects in Libya

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of technical study assessing existing damage to Zumurrud Mall project completed

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.