No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

UN envoy Bernardino Leon meets Nuri Abu Sahmain in Tripoli

byCallum Paton
November 11, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
UN envoy Bernardino Leon meets Nuri Abu Sahmain in Tripoli

Bernardino Leon meets with Nuri Abu Sahmain in Tripoli (Photo: UNSMIL)

By Libya Herald staff.

Leon_in_Tripoli_11102014_1
Bernardino Leon meets with Nuri Abu Sahmain in Tripoli (Photo: UNSMIL)

Tripoli, 11 November 2014:

UN Special Envoy Bernardino Leon has met in Tripoli General National Congress . . .[restrict](GNC) president Nuri Abu Sahmain with a view to reinvigorating negotiations for a peaceful end to the current crisis.

The UN Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) said Leon met Sahmain  “to listen to the views of the parties and various stakeholders on the way forward”. The two men, the mission said, met to “discuss the possibility of convening an inclusive dialogue aimed at reaching political agreement” for “the remainder of the transitional period”.

Speaking at a press conference following the talks, the second Deputy President of the GNC Saleh Makhzoom said Leon assured Sahmain that UNSMIL respected Thursday’s Supreme Court ruling which essentially dissolved the House of Representatives in Tobruk.

RELATED POSTS

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

UNSMIL head Tetteh proposed new sequenced Roadmap includes parliamentary and presidential elections and a new unified government

Following a similar meeting between Interim Prime Minister Abdullah Al-Thinni and Leon on Sunday in Shahat, the government in Beida said the UN representative had reiterated his belief in the legitimacy of the House of Representatives and Thinni’s administration.

Leon’s meeting with Sahmain was his first with any representative of the GNC since elections to the House of Representatives in June. On previous visits to Tripoli in his capacity as UN Special Envoy, Leon had met only met supporters of the GNC providing they themselves had legitimate authority – such as the elected mayors of Tripoli, Kikla and Gharian and the Grand Mufti.

He arrived in Tripoli from Tunis this morning having said he would not allow a bomb attack on the meeting in Shahat between UN and government delegations to impede progress with negotiations.

“I can assure everyone that such attacks will not in any way have any impact on our work, nor will it prevent us from carrying on with the tasks mandated by the Security Council. On the contrary, it will make us more determined to push for solutions to Libya’s crisis,” Leon said yesterday.

He condemned the attack in Shahat saying that: “The United Nations is impartial and neutral in its approach and wants the best solutions for Libyans.”

Leon’s arrival today provoked anger from some supporters of the the GNC and the Hassi government based in Tripoli. They believe the UN has shown bias in favour of the Tobruk-based House of Representatives. Other supporters have welcomed the visit claiming it shows the UN’s support for last week’s Supreme Court decision.

[/restrict]

Tags: BernardinofeaturedGNCHouse of RepresentativesLeonTripoliUNUNSMIL

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Zliten court postpones ruling in case against former Qaddafi soldiers

Libya Dawn celebrates "victory" in Tripoli but tensions rise ahead of Gharghour anniversary

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.