No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Supreme Court’s constitutional decision questioned as it widens rivalries

byNigel Ash
November 6, 2014
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald Reporters.

The Supreme Court ruling delivered this morning (photo: screen grab)
The Supreme Court ruling delivered this morning (Photo: screen grab)

 Tripoli and Benghazi, 6 November 2014:

Gunfire and jubilation in Misrata and Tripoli marked the Supreme Court’s televised ruling . . .[restrict]that the House of Representatives and the elections this summer, which brought it, into being are unconstitutional.

Meanwhile in Tobruk where the HoR is currently sitting and among pro-government forces fighting in Benghazi, the immediate response was that the judges had made their decision under duress.

Mohamed Hejazi, a Libyan National Army spokesman in Benghazi said that, just as the controversial Political Isolation Law had been passed by the old General National Congress “at gunpoint”, so the Supreme Court “took this decision in Tripoli which has been occupied by Libya Dawn terrorists”.

RELATED POSTS

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

International law firm Clyde and Co, which has a practice in Tripoli, today pointed out: “The full legal reasoning and analysis behind the decision has not yet been released”. However it said that the ruling meant that “the meetings of the the recently elected House of Representatives in Tobruk are in violation of the 7th amendment of the Constitutional Declaration and are thus unconstitutional”.

The firm added: “This ruling, which has already been postponed twice, casts more uncertainty over the political environment in Libya … The medium/long-term implications of this decision remain to be seen, but it appears that either a new set of elections will need to be called, or the new Libyan constitution will need to be settled and ratified before any meaningful decision-making process can take place in Libya”.

There are unconfirmed reports that two of the supreme court judges resigned in the last 48 hours. This has produced claims that without its full panel strength of 13 judges, the Supreme Court could not rule. However a leading lawyer at Clyde & Co pointed out the the Libya Herald that the court can work with a majority decision. Moreover, when the same court ruled in favour of the validity of the GNC’s  appointment of Abdullah Al-Thinni as interim prime minister, rejecting a challenge from Misrata businessman Ahmed Maetig, two judges were similarly missing when the decision was handed down.

It is understood that the Supreme Court concluded that the GNC’s February Committee, which prepared the law that brought about this June’s elections had violated Libya’s provisional constitution.

If this was the basis for the judges’ decision then it would appear to cast doubt over the GNC’s own subsequent vote accepting the February Committee’s proposals and its passage of the new electoral law.

Nevertheless, a spokesman for the rump of the GNC sitting in Tripoli welcomed the ruling.

A deputy president of the GNC, Salah Makzoum,  said on Libya Al-Ahrar: “We are the only legitimate body in Libya. We thank the court for its decision and call on all Libyans to accept the decision and return to their jobs for the good of the country.

Abdussalam Jadallah Obeidi,  the army chief of staff fired by the HoR said on Nabaa, that he was calling on the “Libya shields and the army to liberate Libya from terrorist gangs and target the camps of these terrorists – liberate the oil fields”.

The reactions from Tobruk were of puzzlement and anger. HoR representative for Benghazi, Jalal Al-Shweidi told this newspaper: “ I am surprised. We thought they were making a decision on the location of the HoR in Tobruk, not that the elections and all the decisions [the parliament has made] are illegal”.

He continued: “ The judgement was made under the threat of violence and a lot of militias were inside the court behind the cameras. The judgement has brought Libya into a dark tunnel and could drag the country into further violence”.

Another Benghazi representative Aisa Al-Araib wrote on social media “All the members of the House of Representatives are going to refuse the decision of the Supreme Court. The decision was the decision of the Libya Dawn gangs”.

 

  [/restrict]

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Supreme Court ruling prompts cautious diplomatic response

Supreme Court ruling prompts cautious diplomatic response

Founder of The Voice of Libyan Women selected for UN advisory group

Founder of The Voice of Libyan Women selected for UN advisory group

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC chairman participates in expanded meeting on new fuel import mechanism through tender

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.