No Result
View All Result
Saturday, February 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Sharara oilfield taken over by joint Misratan/Tuareg force

byMichel Cousins
November 8, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Jamal Adel.

Kufra, 8 November 2014:

The Misratan-led Third Forces with the support of Tuaregs troops took over the Sharara oilfield yesterday . . .[restrict]evening, forcing out the Tebu and Zintani Petroleum Facilities Guards who had been protecting the site.

“Third Forces have entered the filed and now they are in control the Sharara,” Zintani PFG oilfield commander Abdulhamed Karir told the Libya Herald. He said the Misratan-Led third forces had moved in from Gharefa, some 30 kilometres near Obari.

“They entered in collusion with the Tuareg PFG who were part of the forces at Sharara,” he said, adding that the Tuaregs in question had earlier quit the oilfield during the recent clashes in Obari in order to support the pro-Libya Dawn Tuareg militia involved in fighting there.

RELATED POSTS

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

Military Industrialization Organisation delivers 7,000 cooking gas cylinders it has manufactured locally to Brega Oil Marketing Company

According to him, the latter Tuareg group are led by Ahmed Omar Al-Ansari, an Islamist said to be linked to the Azawad Liberation Movement in Mali (MNLA) and to Mahdi Abu Hana, an alleged arms dealer from Al-Tayouri district in Sebha.

Several members of the MNLA are reported to have fought on Qaddafi’s side during the 2011 revolution, afterwards returning to Mali.

Just over week ago, Tebus threatened that they would fight the Misratans if the latter attempted to enter the oilfields. However, today, Karir said that Tebu and Zinani numbers in the PFG at Sharara were down because many members had left to join forces at Obari and Kikla and that the Misratans had suceeeded in dividing the Tebus and Tuareg.

“It is pretty obvious what the Third Force are aiming at. They’ve managed to divide the Tebus and Tuareg so they can take over the oilfields.”

It is not known if the takeover has the support of the Tuareg community in Obari. Last week, its leaders announced their backing for the House of Representatives after HoR President Ageela Saleh Gwaider flew to the southwestern oasis town for talks with them.

Today, Karir said that the Misratans were now planning to move to the El-Fil (Elephant) field, to the south of Sharara, operated by Italy’s Eni.

This may be more difficult as it is in Tebu territory, unlike Sharara which is largely Tuareg territory.

Just a couple of days ago, the HoR President was at El-Fil oilfield, meeting with Tebu leaders, in his latest bid to resolve the fighting between them and the Tuareg.

The Tebus are still in control of Checkpoint 17, south of Sebha, which the Misratans drove around a fortnight ago on their way to Gharefa.

It is not clear what the Misratans hope to achieve by taking over the oilfield, unless it is to stop production. Control of the fields does not assure that oil flows to the terminal at Zawia. The pipeline passes close to Zintan, and the Zintanis have already shown that they can turn it off at will. They turned off the valves which are near Reyayna more than once this year. Furthermore, when the oil is exported from Zawia, the revenues do not go to the Hassi antigovernment in Tripoli.

The Sharara field is operated by Akakus Oil, an joint venture between the NOC and Spain’s Repsol. Its capacity is 350,000 b/d but production stopped this week following at initial attack by Tuareg forces. [/restrict]

Related Posts

Tripoli based Military Industries Organisation opens “Libyan Inventor” office
Business

Military Industrialization Organisation delivers 7,000 cooking gas cylinders it has manufactured locally to Brega Oil Marketing Company

February 20, 2026
Economy Ministry creating e-regulations website for registering companies
Business

One-Stop Shop system for company registration to be activated – again!

February 20, 2026
71 commercial vessels were received by the Julyana Free Zone Port in August
Business

Julyana Free Port meet high-level British delegation visiting Benghazi

February 20, 2026
Misrata Chamber of Commerce holds meeting with companies to discuss HoR’s new tax bill
Business

Misrata Chamber to hold workshop on “Advance Consignment Information (ACI)’’ imported cargo tracking and registration system adopted by Libya

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba relaunches construction of Tripoli Gate’s Zumurrud Shopping Mall on Airport Road
Business

First phase of technical study assessing existing damage to Zumurrud Mall project completed

February 18, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Business

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 19, 2026
Next Post
Interview with Mohamed El-Ghirani, Foreign Minister of the “Government of the National Salvation”

Interview with Mohamed El-Ghirani, Foreign Minister of the "Government of the National Salvation"

Hassi looks to expand power after Supreme Court decision

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

Military Industrialization Organisation delivers 7,000 cooking gas cylinders it has manufactured locally to Brega Oil Marketing Company

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.