No Result
View All Result
Sunday, February 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

LNA claims “operation to liberate Tripoli” has started; Sorman and Janzour among targets targeted say Zintanis

byMichel Cousins
March 25, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
LNA claims “operation to liberate Tripoli” has started; Sorman and Janzour among targets targeted say Zintanis

Libyan Airforce Mig 23 Jets which may have been used in the airstirkes (Photo: Libyan Airforce)

By Libya Herald staff.

Libyan Airforce Mig 23 Jets which may have been used in the airstirkes (Photo: Libyan Airforce)
Libyan Airforce Mig 23 Jets which may have been used in the strikes (Photo: Libyan Airforce)

Tripoli/Tunis, 22 November:

The operation to take Tripoli from Libya Dawn has began, Libyan army and Operation Dignity officials . . .[restrict]in Benghazi have declared.

Both Saqr Adam Geroushi,the head of Operation Dignity’s air force in Benghazi, and Mohamed Hejazi, spokesman for Operation Dignity, told the Libya Herald this afternoon that bombing raids carried out west of Tripoli yesterday and today were the first stage of the planned move on the capital.

“We have sent planes to the west. We have an airbase there,” said Geroushi, adding the aircraft would, if necessary, be used to attack Mitiga and Misrata airports if they did not cease operations as ordered. He also said that the ports at Tripoli, Misrata and Ras Hilal would also be targeted. In a move that suggests an attempt by the government to reach out to the Amazigh community, he added that Zuwara airport and port were exempted from the closure order and could continue to be used for civilian purposes. However, if it were discovered that arms were moving through Zuwara port or airport, they too would be targeted.

RELATED POSTS

Spanish visiting medical team perform joint operations in Beida, US-based consultant visiting in Zintan

Implementation of Zintan Free Zone and exhibitions centre ongoing

Geroushi would not give the location of the airport in the west. However an officer at the Zintan Operations Room told this newspaper yesterday that two fighter aircraft were based at the mountain town’s airstrip and were now in active service following the delivery of aviation fuel. They had bombed Bir Ghanem, Hosh Al-Seteen near Gharian and Bu Sheiba, he said.

This afternoon the same officer said that the aircraft today bombed Libya Dawn positions in Sorman, Janzour and Najila – claims that have not been confirmed. Nor have there been any reports so far about casualties.

The officer also said that a cargo plane with arms and equipment to be used against Libya Dawn had landed at Zintan. He further added that helicopters would arrive in the next couple of days as part of the operation to recapture Tripoli.

The Zintan officer appeared not to be particularly concerned that the Zintan airstrip or the aircraft might be hit by planes under the control of Libya Dawn. He claimed Libya Dawn and Misrata had no fighter planes, only training aircraft. These had been modified to carry bombs and had been used in a failed bombing raid against the airstrip earlier in the week, he said, but he was confident of air superiority. [/restrict]

Tags: fearturedLibyaLibya Dawnoperation dignityZintan

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Tripoli Criminal Court convicts five Waha bank employees for LD 131 million corruption

February 22, 2026
Mental health services in Libya almost non-existent – approximately one million people need mental health care: WHO 2020 report
Libya

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

February 21, 2026
Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts
Libya

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

February 21, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
Next Post
Planes and ships in Libya Dawn areas “military targets”: High Command

Planes and ships in Libya Dawn areas "military targets": High Command

Boat carrying weapons and supplies captured in Benghazi as fighting continues

Top Stories

  • Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts

    Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benina Airport installs first-ever ILS/DME Navigational Aids System by Spain’s Sky Navigation Systems

Sirte Oil Company completes drilling of horizontal well C345H in the Ziltan field with production rate of 2,000 barrels per day

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.