No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Libya Dawn denies the presence of Daesh in Tripoli

byMichel Cousins
November 21, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Libya Dawn denies the presence of Daesh in Tripoli

Supposed fighters in Tripoli pledging allegiance to Daesh. Libya Dawn says it is fake (Photo: Social media)

By Ali Salem.

Fighters in Tripoli . . .[restrict]purportedly pledging allegiance to Daesh; Libya Dawn says it is fake (Photo: Social media)
Supposed fighters in Tripoli pledging allegiance to Daesh. Libya Dawn says it is fake (Photo: Social media)

Tripoli, 21 November 2014:

Libya Dawn has denied that Daesh, the terrorist group backing an Islamic Caliphate, is in Tripoli or anywhere in western Libya.

A statement issued yesterday by Libya Dawn’s media office says reports to the contrary are part of a conspiracy by certain foreign governments to justify interfering in Libya and appropriating its wealth. Libya Dawn also accused the UN Secretary General’s Representative in Libya, Bernardino Leon, and a number of countries – Saudi Arabia was specifically mentioned –  of trying to destroy the Libyan revolution.

The statement follows the appearance of pictures on social media earlier this week purporting to show a group of Daesh supporters in Tripoli following the lead in Derna and pledging allegiance to the Caliphate.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba opens First Phase of Tripoli’s Third Ring Road

Eastern Libyan government engages Turkish company to assess safety of dams

At the beginning of last month, Derna’s Shoura Council of Islamic Youth pledged allegiance to Daesh and to the man claiming to be caliph, known as Abubakr Al-Baghdadi. In a separate video this week, he announced he had accepted the Derna group’s loyalty. It has since been reported that he has split Libya into three vilayets or provinces – Tripoli, Barca (or Cyrenaica) and Fezzan – and appointed a person named as Ibrahim Ben Awad as his “emir” in Tripoli.

There has also been a claim from a Twitter account claiming to belong to the Tripoli vilayet that Daesh was responsible for the car bombing of the Egyptian and UAE embassies in the capital on 13 November.

In response, Libya Dawn has said that it had received intelligence reports showing that those who claimed to support Daesh in Tripoli were agents provocateur planted by foreign countries to discredit it.

The statement, which nonetheless implies that Daesh is present in eastern Libya, is being seen as an attempt by Libya Dawn to explain away the growing issue of the extremists in the west, despite the fact that Daesh flags have reportedly been seen recently in Tripoli and Daesh supporters are said to be present at the Majr camp in Zliten and also in Sabratha.

In a similar move, Omar Al-Hassi, appointed prime minister by Libya Dawn’s allies in the rump Congress, refuses to label as terrorists Ansar Al-Sharia – a major component of the same Derna Shoura Council of Islamic Youth that pledged its allegiance to Daesh – although yesterday it was designated as such by the UN. In interviews recently, he has called it a humanitarian and a missionary organisation. [/restrict]

Tags: Ansar Al-ShariaCaliphateDaeshDernafeaturedLibyaLibya DawnTripoli

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post
Tripoli Municipal Council launches emergency helpline

Tripoli Municipal Council launches emergency helpline

Hawari Medical Centre attacked

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

HoR Members, Benghazi Municipality and Benghazi Chamber meet British business delegation visiting Benghazi

There is no shortage of food supplies in the Libyan marketplace: Customs Authority

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.