By Noora Ibrahim.
Benghazi, 19 October 2014:
Militants carried out a bomb attack on the central Benghazi home of General Khalifa Hafter, the . . .[restrict]leader of Operation Dignity, killing one and injuring another this morning.
The Spokesman for Operation Dignity Mohammed Al-Hejazi told the Libya Herald that the attack was carried out at around 10 am when a driver in a Toyota truck threw the bomb in a bag towards Hafter’s house.
Medics at Benghazi Medical Centre (BMC) said a woman who was driving past the house at the time of the explosion died in hospital this afternoon from injuries sustained in the attack. She was identified as Aziza Al-Amari. Her friend, driving with her in the car, was also injured in the attack but is said to be in a stable condition.
The blast from the device caused causes some damage to the property. Neither Hafter nor any members of his family have stayed in the home, which is located in Benghazi’s Zeitun area near Dubai street, since the beginning of Operation Dignity in May.
In June, Hafter was injured when a massive car bomb blast a kilometre from his compound south of Benghazi damaged the room in which he was staying.
There has been a spike in the number of bomb attacks in Benghazi since Operation Dignity reentered the city on Wednesday.
The spokesman for the General Chief of Staff Ahmed Al-Mismari said government supporters had seized a massive car bomb in Majouri last night after a man had tried to detonate a device comprising of five large gas canisters at a makeshift checkpoint.
Later, under interrogation, the man in question said that he had been travelling from Hay Salem.
On Friday night a suicide bomber blew himself up and killed three civilians at a roadblock in Buhdeima. The attack is believed to be in revenge for the murder by local vigilantes of a Buhdeima family of Ansar Al-Sharia supporters.
Fighting in several Benghazi districts has continued since Wednesday with clashes reported today in Hay Masekin, Shibna and Gariyounis today. [/restrict]