By Libya Herald staff.
Benghazi, 4 September 2014:
The Military Council in Kufra is reported to have denied that a Sudanese military aircraft . . .[restrict]which landed today at midday at the south eastern oasis town’s airport was heading to Mitiga with a load of arms for Libya Dawn forces.
The Libyan new agency LANA quoted Colonel Suleiman Hamed Hassan, the head of the council and of the Libyan-Sudanese Joint boder control force, saying that the shipment was destined for use by the Libya army in the border zone and was known about before the plane arrived. Allegations that the plane had to make an emergency landing were also untrue, he said.
Media reports that the plane’s shipment had been confiscated by the Military Council are seen as reflecting a growing concern about Sudan’s position on the political crisis in Libya.
Nuri Abu Sahmain, the head of Congress was in Khartoum on an official visit until Tuesday. Sudan’s Foreign Minister Ali Ahmed Karti has said his country is willing to act as a mediator between Libya’s factions. [/restrict]