No Result
View All Result
Sunday, February 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Fired CBL governor Elkaber fighting back in the courts

byNigel Ash
September 24, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Fired CBL governor Elkaber fighting back in the courts

By Farah Waleed.

Saddek Elkaber earlier this year (Photoh:Sami Zaptia)
Saddek Elkaber earlier this year (Photo:Sami Zaptia)

Benghazi, 23 September 2014:

Saddek Elkaber, fired by the House of Representatives from his job as governor of the Central . . .[restrict]Bank of Libya, has said that he is challenging the move in the courts. He has also indicated that he is stepping down temporarily while his case is heard.

He has explained that he wrote to the HoR five days ago pointing out that the Bank’s governor could only be ousted before the end of his statutory five-year term (which began two years ago) in exceptional circumstances, none of which had arisen in his case.

The HoR fired him ten days ago replacing him temporarily with his deputy Ali Salem Hibri. Elkaber  had been accused of financial irregularities and had refused to travel to Tobruk to explain himself before the House. Instead, he had sent Hibri. The mood of Representatives may not have been improved at the start of this month when they complained that the Central Bank was not paying their salaries, a claim Elkaber denied.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

It remains to be seen if judges will agree to hear his action. Nevertheless Elkaber’s letter to the HoR suggests a more emollient stance than that he was reported to have adopted initially. This was apparently to deny the validity of the HoR itself and therefore of his ouster.

If that was indeed his view at the time, he is now rowing back, arguing rather that the integrity of the Central Bank requires that it be protected from political interference.

“I do believe” he said in his statement issued in Tripoli today, “ … that the action undertaken by the House of Representatives erodes the independence of the institution and is potentially harmful to its stakeholders. A weak Central Bank or one which is vulnerable to political influence is a risky proposition”.

Elkaber said that he hoped that the legal process would be handled swiftly.

In the meantime, he said he “would like to reassure the public and investors that there will be no institutional vacuum at the Central Bank of Libya. Effective leadership succession will take its normal course within the Central Bank to ensure the responsibilities of the Governor on an interim basis”

He said that he had set out his position to the HoR in a letter on 18 September.

Meanwhile, he added, “I have no doubt that Central Bank of Libya will continue to fulfil its responsibilities to the highest degree of professionalism and transparency, in full cooperation with all authorities. The institution is strong, resilient and as ever committed to its direction and mandate”. [/restrict]

Tags: Central Bak governorElkaberfeaturedLibya

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Tripoli Criminal Court convicts five Waha bank employees for LD 131 million corruption

February 22, 2026
Mental health services in Libya almost non-existent – approximately one million people need mental health care: WHO 2020 report
Libya

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

February 21, 2026
Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts
Libya

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

February 21, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
Next Post

Sirte resident murdered in front of the university

Foreign Ministry HQ “handed over” to National Salvation Government’s appointee

Top Stories

  • Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts

    Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benina Airport installs first-ever ILS/DME Navigational Aids System by Spain’s Sky Navigation Systems

Sirte Oil Company completes drilling of horizontal well C345H in the Ziltan field with production rate of 2,000 barrels per day

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.