No Result
View All Result
Monday, February 16, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Algeria plans fence on Libyan border while hoping to mediate between Libyan protagonists

byMichel Cousins
September 29, 2014
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A

By Hadi Fornaji,

Tunis, 29 September 2014:

Algeria is looking to the possibility of erecting an electronic fence along Libya border because . . .[restrict]of concerns about the movement of terrorists and arms from Libya.

According to the Algerian daily, El Mihwar, a top-level Algerian army security meeting last week called for the erection of a fence all the way from near  Ghadames to the town of Djanet near the southwest Libyan border town Ghat.

The fence would include trenches.

RELATED POSTS

Oil Minister Aoun holds meetings with Qatari and Algerian Ministers of Energy

Ministry of Local Government participates in the One Health Conference in Algeria

The Algerian Air Force has already been put on a state of alert along the border and told that any unauthorised entry of vehicles from Libya should be regarded as a hostile act and be attacked.

Algeria’s concerns about the movement of terrorists, as well as about people trafficking and drugs smuggling dates back to the early post-revolution period when arms smuggled from Libya started to flow into the country.

Despite Libyan denials, Algeria continues to insist that the Islamist militants led by Mokhtar Belmokhtar who seized the In Amenas oil and gas facility at the beginning of last year had crossed over from Libya.  Sixty-nine people died in the incident, including 29 of the attackers.

Continuing fears that Libya could become a regional hub for Islamist militants has also seen the Algerian authorities increase their own efforts to promote Libyan dialogue in recent weeks.

There has been a flurry of Libya-focussed activity in Algiers, including talks on the issue with visiting French Chief of Defence Staff, General Pierre de Villiers, culminating in the announcement by Foreign Minister Ramtane Lamamra at the UN in New York last week that foreign military intervention in Libya had to be opposed. It would not work, he said. Moreover, he added, there would be a meeting in Algeria in October of the various Libyan protagonists, the aim being to promote dialogue.

The meeting is also to include representatives of neighbouring countries.

The Algerian initiative appears to differ from the current UNSMIL meeting in Ghadames in that it aims is to have wider participation. The Ghadames talks involve only members of the House of Representatives who have been taking part in its sessions in Tobruk and those members who have been boycotting it – although in reality the latter are closely linked to Libya Dawn forces, the rump Congress led by Nuri Abu Sahmain, and the Omar Al-Hassi adminisation which it appointed.

No date has been set as yet for the Algeria meeting, although it has been reported in Algeria that a Libyan delegation will head there during the first week of October to prepare for talks.

Meanwhile there has been a series of denials about who has or has not been invited. Mohamed Sawan, leader of the Justice and Construction Party, said on his Facebook page that he had not received an invite. So too did former Qaddafi era-UN ambassador Abdel-Rahman Shalgam. Since then, accusations by Libyan revolutionaries that the Algerian efforts are an attempt to rehabilitate Qaddafi-era politicians appear to have prompted a response from Algerian officials who were quoted yesterday saying that no Qaddafi regime figures would be at the meeting and that those who would take part would all be members of the House of Representatives.

This, however, is precisely the same people who taking part in today’s Ghadames talks – which has resulted in questions now being asked whether the Algerian meeting will achieve anything or even take place. One of the raft of special envoys on Libya appointed by various governments and organisations in recent months yesterday told the Libya Herald that he did not think that it would occur.

Nonethless, Algeria’s efforts are being publicly supported by the US and the EU. Last Thursday, Italian Special Adviser Giuseppe Buccino Grimaldi, who is also Rome’s ambassador in Tripoli, said that Italy “supports Algeria’s initiative” for a peaceful solution in Libya. [/restrict]

Tags: algeriaLibya

Related Posts

NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

China appoints Ma Xueliang as its new ambassador to Libya – after a 10-year gap

February 13, 2026
After a ten-year hiatus, Al-Khadra hospital’s Eye Clinic reopens
Libya

Al-Hadaba Al-Khadra General Hospital announces resumption of hip replacement surgeries after a two-year hiatus

February 12, 2026
Next Post

Libya’s VIP aircraft authority operating for both ‘governments’

Increase in oil output defies political chaos

Increase in oil output defies political chaos

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Saif al-Islam Qaddafi buried in Bani Walid next to his brother – thousands attend funeral as supporters of former regime display old green flag

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • LIA discusses with China’s Chargé d’affaires reinvesting Libya’s Security Council frozen assets to preserve their value

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.