No Result
View All Result
Saturday, February 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Mystery warplanes again attack Dawn in Tripoli

byMichel Cousins
August 23, 2014
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
Mystery warplanes again attack Dawn in Tripoli

By Ajnadin Mustafa.

Smashed buildings believed to be from this morning's raid
Smashed buildings believed to be from this morning’s raid

Tripoli, 22 August 2014:

Unidentified aircraft have this morning again bombed Operation Dawn positions in Tripoli in a reprise of . . .[restrict]Monday’s attacks. Fifteeen people are reported to have been killed and 30 wounded in the raids which happened at around 5 am. This time, it was buildings on the Airport Road belonging to Waha Oil Company that were hit. They are said to have been housing weaponry and vehicles belonging to Operation Dawn forces.

Also reported hit was the Wadi Al-Rabie compound of the Man-Made River company which has been used by one of the Misratan militias as its operations base. It had been earlier struck in Monday’s raids.

Today’s raids are seen as a response to the capture by Operation Dawn forces yesterday of the Waha Oil buildings and the area around, including the Interior Ministry buildings on the other side of the Airport Road as well as the neighbouring Hay Akwakh and Hay Zahur residential areas. The Interior Ministry buildings were until now held by Zintanis and the two districts by local forces.

RELATED POSTS

Tripoli Libyan government conducts drone strikes against criminal hideouts in western coast

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

The latter had been subject to constant shelling over recent days, forcing most residents to flee.

According to one of the few remaining residents in the area, yesterday’s successful attack was carried out by Tripoli forces of Operation Dawn; there were no Misratans involved, the person who did not want to be named, told the Libya Herald. He said the Tripoli forces included members of the Ghnaiwa Brigade from Abu Sleem as well as of the Tripoli Revolutionaries Brigade under the control of Haithem Tajouri.

As yet there is no indication who did the airstrikes. As with Monday’s raids against Wadi Rabie and Gasr Ben Gashir, they appear to have involved highly effective precision bombing.

In Monday’s case, this caused analysts to dismiss claims by retired General Khalifa Hafter that it had been carried out by Libyan airforce warplanes under his command. A number of informed sources, including US ambassador Deborah Jones, also noted that Libyan aircraft did not have the capacity for such precision bombing or of flying from eastern Libyan bases without refueling.

Claims by the Libyan Revolutionaries Operation Room and Operation Dawn that Monday’s attackers had flown from Wattayah airbase near the western border, controlled by the Zintanis, likewise appear wide of the mark as the airbase is reported to have remained unusable since NATO forces bombed its runway during the revolution.

Sources in Malta, where Air Traffic Control can monitor Libyan airspace, refused to reveal what their screens showed on Monday at the time of the first strike.

Today, a member of the Misratan Military Council has been quoted accusing the Egyptian Air Force of carrying out the Airport Road attack, claiming that a plane was spotted on the radar accompanied by an air fuel tanker.

The Eygptians had already denied responsibility for Monday’s raid, as had the Italians, British, French and Americans. So did the Algerians. Yesterday Algerian Foreign Minister Ramtane Lamamra said that “Algeria that had previously repeatedly denied military solutions and still today affirms this position.” He added that based on Algeria’s “bitter experience” there could be no military solution to Libya’s problems. These had to have a political resolution.

Despite the official denial, there is growing conjecture in Algiers that Algerian Su24 warplanes have been involved the Tripoli attacks. The independent daily Al-Watan today maintained that Egyptian planes were incapable of mounting an attack on Tripoli since they did not have inflight refueling capacity. Al-Watan indicated that in such circumstances, there was a very clear probability that the warplanes have been Algerian.

Another Algerian newspaper El Khabar on Thursday made a similar inference saying that Monday’s attacks on Gasr Ben Gashir may have been targeting the Algerian Islamist leader Mukhtar Belmukhtar who, the Algerian government says, was responsible for the January 2013 assault on the Al Amenas gas facility in which 40 oil workers were killed.  Also thought to have been present in Tripoli at the time, it said, was Abu Iyad, the leader of Ansar Al-Sharia in Tunisia.  It is understood that both men have since left the country. [/restrict]

Tags: airstrikesbombingfeaturedLibyaOperation Dawn

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Next Post

Sebha sends aid convoy to displaced families in western Libya

UNSMIL continues efforts for ceasefire

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

LBC and Libyan African Council for Sub-Saharan Countries held its first official meeting – an action plan to enhance Libya’s economic presence in Africa is agreed

LIDCO continues construction on 8,500 car multistorey carpark as part of Tripoli Gate 1 Project

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.