No Result
View All Result
Thursday, May 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Tripoli security director assassinated

byMichel Cousins
August 12, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Tripoli security director assassinated

File photo of Suweisi in Martyrs Square

By Ajnadin Mustafa.

File photo of Suweisi in Martyrs Square
File photo of Suweisi in Martyrs Square

Tripoli, 12 August 2014:

Colonel Mohamed Al-Suwaisi, the head of Tripoli Security Directorate, was assassinated today in Tajoura.

He . . .[restrict]was shot a number of times around midday by unknown gunmen when his car stopped at traffic lights. According to Hashem Bishr, the former head of the Supreme Security Committee, Suweisi had just left a security meeting in the Tripoli suburb accompanied by two colleagues when masked gunmen rushed up and starting firing. After shooting Suweisi dead the gunmen then seized the other two and drove off with them.

Suweisi was appointed head of the National Security Directorate in last October following the resignation of Colonel Mahmoud Al-Sharif. He was in charge of the police in the capital as well as being in overall control of its security.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba opens First Phase of Tripoli’s Third Ring Road

On the day of first direct Tripoli to Rome flight, MoU signed between Libyan Civil Aviation and its Italian counterpart

He had come out in support of General Hafter’s Operation Dignity in Benghazi and was known to be opposed to the Misrata-led Operation Libya Dawn in the capital.

At the beginning of the week he had ordered police officers in Tripoli to return to work. Large numbers have not been at work since the revolution, although they continue to draw their salaries.

A group said to be linked to the Libyan Revolutionaries Operations Room has claimed that Misratan and Suq Al-Juma revolutionaries were responsible for the killing. On its Facebook page, the group, calling itself the Official Operations Room, said that Misrata revolutionaries with the help of others from Suq Al-Juma had arrested four people who were planning to take over a camp in Tajoura and that two, whom it labelled as supporters of the former regime, had been killed.  These included Suweisi, it said.

The claim cannot be verified and, given that it appears to contains errors, may be wholly nothing more than dishonest boasting. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredLibyaMohamed Al-SuwaisiTripoli

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Missile attack on Zawia

Tripoli Local Council addresses fuel crisis with free city bus service

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

FX black-market has existed for years and decades, and eliminating it in a short period is impossible: CBL Governor Issa

Libyan Industry Union and National Economic and Social Development Board to sign MoU to support manufacturing business environment

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.