No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Nepal evacuates 60 nationals from Libya, readies to evacuate more in days to come

byNewsdesk2
August 20, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald staff.

Cairo, 20 August 2014:

Nepal is organizing the evacuation of Nepalese nationals from Libya without the benefit of having an . . .[restrict]embassy in Libya.

The Embassy of Nepal in Cairo has been organizing the evacuation.  According to the embassy’s Chargé d’Affaires, Kaushal Kishor Ray, around 400 Nepalese were working in Libya.   Of those, about half have contacted the government requesting help in evacuating.

“This is a very highly organised evacuation,” Ray told the Libya Herald.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Ray stated that most of the Nepalese are in the Tripoli area.  He said 12-14 were in Benghazi, and another 126 in Sirte working with the Korean company Dasoon, but had since traveled to Tripoli.

When asked about reports that those working for Dasoon were “abandoned” by the company when it began to evacuate its workers, Ray said that “from what we understand, they were not hired directly by Dasoon, but by a third party.  This third party did not fulfill its obligations to them. Dasoon was not responsible.”

Furthermore, he explained that reports saying the workers were in Libya illegally were incorrect.  “As far as we can determine, all Nepalese working in Libya had work permits and visas. The question of legality may have come up because they were defying Nepalese government orders.”  The Nepalese government has a ban on traveling to Libya for employment because of the instability in the nation.

As of Sunday 60 Nepalese had been successfully evacuated and repatriated to Nepal. Because Nepal does not have an embassy in Libya the Indian Embassy helped those 60 secure exit visas.  A transportation company in Tripoli was used to take them from Tripoli to the Tunisian border.

“Six vehicles traveled in staggered intervals, with security, to Ras Jedir,” Ray told this newspaper.  From the Tunisian border the 60 were bused on to Tunis, where over the following three days they were flown to Nepal.

“We are now working on the next group of evacuations. That should happen within a week,” the Chargé d’Affaires said.

More difficult, Ray stated, is the evacuation of the small group in Benghazi.  He said they had been warned that it was not safe for them to travel overland to the Salloum border crossing into Egypt.  At this point they were still evaluating the various options for assisting those located in the east.

According to Ray, many Nepalese want to remain in Libya.  He said the salaries they received were much higher than they would receive elsewhere.

“Generally, those who have been there the longest have adjusted the most and want to stay.  It is mostly those who have only been in Libya for less than a year that are asking for our assistance,” said Ray.  “All of those we have heard from are safe as of now,” he added.

  [/restrict]

Tags: evacuationsLibyaNepal

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Goldman Sachs backs down in LIA’s $1.2 billion case

Goldman Sachs backs down in LIA's $1.2 billion case

Sudanese pro-Ansar mercenaries arrive in Kufra?

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libya’s energy transition represents one of North Africa’s most significant infrastructure opportunities: LBBC Chairman Peter Millett

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.