No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

At least five dead and 25 wounded in Tripoli clashes; airport closed till Wednesday at earliest

byCallum Paton
July 14, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Moutaz Ali and Ashraf Abdul Wahab.

Tripoli, 13 July 2014:

Five people have been killed and 25 wounded in fighting in . . .[restrict]Tripoli today between Zintanis and the anti-Zintani “Operation Dawn” forces, a health official has said.

The source from the Ministry of Health in Tripoli told the Libya Herald that the casualties had arrived at the capital’s hospitals but could not say whether the dead and wounded were combatants or civilians.

Fighting has continued between Qaaqaa and Sawaq brigades and the Fajr forces in the area to the south of Tripoli International Airport, where the fighting began early this morning. It is not clear who now holds the airport itself.

RELATED POSTS

LPTIC Chairman tours Tripoli International Airport – emphasises need to accelerate pace of completion of telecoms work

Tripoli government opens investigation to determine responsibilities and accountability for Misrata clashes between its own forces

The Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) has suspended all flights to Tripoli for the next three days and will continue to monitor the situation. It has said it will shortly designate a new destination for flights scheduled to arrive in the capital for the next two days.

Flights from Tunisia, Dubai, Amman and Cairo which were headed to Tripoli earlier today have been rerouted to Misrata. All scheduled flights from Paris and Rome have been cancelled.

With Benghazi’s Benina airport likewise closed because of clashes there, Misrata airport remains the only international airport with flights in and out of the country. But although Tunisair, Turkish Airlines and Royal Jordanian operate there, they have taken no decision as yet to reroute Tripoli flights there.

Air Malta, Alitalia and British Airways cannot do so, because Misrata is not certified for EU-based airlines.

For its part, Afriqiya are reported to be looking at moving operations there.

Most airlines are awaiting an announcement on Wednesday on flights in and out of Tripoli and will evaluate the situation.

“If nothing drastic happens then I expect  the airport will reopen and we’ll restart flights on Thursday, said one European airline official.

Passengers on flights in and out of Tripoli for the next three days are being advised to contact the airline they are booked on.

  [/restrict]

Tags: clashesLibyaTripoliTripoli International Airport

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Washington, London and Rome "concerned" about violence in Libya

Malta-based couple funds first ever private rescue vessel for migrants lost at sea

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

FX black-market has existed for years and decades, and eliminating it in a short period is impossible: CBL Governor Issa

Libyan Industry Union and National Economic and Social Development Board to sign MoU to support manufacturing business environment

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.