By Ashraf Abdul Wahab.
Tripoli, 28 June 2014:
Two rocket propelled grenades were fired at the Sudanese Embassy in Tripoli . . .[restrict]early on Friday morning. There was some minor damage to the premises but no casualties.
The Sudanese Ambassador to Libya told the Libya Herald that he had been surprised to learn of the attack on the mission in Hay Al-Andulus. Sudan had no enemies in Libya, he said, adding that Sudan had always extended friendship and its warmest feelings towards the Libyan people. He explained that at the time of the attack, at around 6 am, only a few security staff had been present at the embassy.
Earlier this month, however, the leader of Operation Dignity, General Khalifa Hafter, criticised Sudan saying its position on fighting terrorism in Libya was ambiguous.
Hafter’s remarks were seen as a reaction to allegations that co-founder of the former Libyan Islamic Fighting Group (LIFG) Abdul-Hakim Belhaj had been organising military supplies during a recent visit to Sudan. Belhaj, who has said he is opposed to Operation Dignity, has denied the claims.