No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Security situation holds back civil aviation development

bythomwestcott
June 22, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Security situation holds back civil aviation development

Security is preventing essential training from taking place (Photo: Tom Westcott)

By Tom Westcott.

Security is preventing essential training from taking place (Photo: Tom Westcott)
The LYCAA said security concerns were preventing trainers coming to Libya (Photo: Tom Westcott)

Tripoli, 22 June 2014:

Efforts to boost the country’s aviation sector and lift restrictions preventing Libyan airlines flying . . .[restrict]in EU airspace are being held back by the country’s ongoing security situation, with essential training postponed.

A new civil aviation training programme should have already seen a number of personnel start in-country courses, but these have had to be postponed, the Director General of the Libyan Civil Aviation Authority (LYCAA), Captain Nasereddin Shaebelain, told the Libya Herald.

“We were supposed to start some training by several EU member states willing to support our programme here in Tripoli but, because of security, a travel ban was imposed on the trainers and the courses have been postponed,” Shaebelain said.

RELATED POSTS

Air traffic increasing over Kufra Airport airspace – up to 100 international airliners per day

First joint Italian Libyan company to export fish to European markets launched

He said that alternative options were now being explored to enable civil aviation staff to pursue the training which, he said, included general safety training and aviation inspector training. One of the solutions, he said, could be to send the staff abroad, although this prospect would be time-consuming and expensive.

“We are trying to do our best but the security situation is hampering our attempts,” Shaebelain said.

Developing civil aviation safety is the current focus of the LYCAA in its ongoing bid to get a self-imposed ban on Libyan-registered planes and crew flying in EU airspace lifted. Findings by a team of air safety consultants which visited Libya earlier this year suggested that, despite “promising progress,” Libya’s civil aviation safety systems were still in need of further reform.

“It was unclear if all air carriers were being subject to certification and oversight,” the EU Commission’s report noted. “Both primary and secondary aviation safety legislation was very weak and safety regulations were not issued; safety management was not implemented at the level of the competent authority.”

Following these findings, the LYCAA stepped up its focus on reforms demanded by the EU and developed the training programme it is now finding impossible to put into action.

Previously, the focus has been on the recertification of Libyan pilots through additional training on aircraft simulators.

“Most Libyan pilots are trained to a similar standard as EU pilots, after simulation training in France and Germany, which is in accordance with the International Air Transport Association (IATA) requirements,” Shaebelain explained.

After waiting three years for the flight ban to be lifted, state-owned airline Afriqiyah Airways is now circumventing the restriction, after signing an agreement with an Irish aviation company to register three of its aircraft in Ireland.

Earlier this month, Afriqiyah’s London-Gatwick route was operated by one of the airline’s own Airbus A320s for the first time since March 2011. [/restrict]

Tags: air safetyaviationBusinesscivil aviationEUEU flight banLibyaLYCAApilots

Related Posts

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments
Business

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

November 29, 2025
Ministry of Housing in discussions with Ernst & Young in London
Business

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

November 29, 2025
Minister of Industry meets the Committee for Localisation of Oil Materials and Equipment Industry
Business

Industry and Minerals Ministry signs MoU with Hungary’s Rotary International Co. for joint infrastructure investment projects

November 29, 2025
NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port
Business

NOC reviews Poland’s Puna oil company’s 2025-26 exploration plans in the Murzuq Basin

November 29, 2025
LAIP delegation visits Maputo, Mozambique to recover seized rice project
Business

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio holds coordination meeting with Nigerian embassy on Transit Corridors Project

November 28, 2025
Libyan Export Promotion Centre changes to become Libyan Export Development Authority – new logo adopted
Business

Libyan Export Development Authority to launch subsidised direct shipping service to Sub-Saharan African ports

November 28, 2025
Next Post

LIA Chairman Breish to be removed from post by Political Isolation Law

LTT beefs up internet services in Ajdabiya

LTT beefs up internet services in Ajdabiya

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libya’s energy transition represents one of North Africa’s most significant infrastructure opportunities: LBBC Chairman Peter Millett

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.