No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Constitutional Assembly forms committee to address Amazigh concerns

byNewsdesk2
June 15, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Jamal Adel.

Tripoli, 15 June 2014:

The Constitutional Assembly has set up a committee to negotiate with the Amazigh in an effort to . . .[restrict]reach a compromise on the latter’s demands that have resulted in them continuing to boycott the constitutional drafting process.

“We set up a committee to communicate and debate with our Amazigh brothers,” spokesperson of the Assembly Al-Sidiq Al-Drissi told the Libya Herald. “The Amazigh are indispensible in drafting the new constitutional.”

Two Libyan ethnic minorities – the Amazigh and Tebus – together with many of the Tuaregs boycotted the Constitutional Assembly elections of 20 February, demanding a consensus principal that stipulates that at least two-thirds of the entire 60-member Assembly, including all six Amazigh, Tebu and Tuareg members, would have to agree to the proposals in the draft on the name of the state, its identity, flag, national anthem and language(s).

RELATED POSTS

Presidency Council head Menfi calls for referendum by Libyan people on contentious points of draft constitution

Democracy is the only way forward for Libya: Aldabaiba to Libyan youth

The Tebus joined the Assembly when Congress agreed in principle to the consensus principal. However, the Amazigh and those Tuaregs maintained that the language of the resolution concerning the consensus principle was vague and unclear and still refused to join. The Tuaregs later changed course and have now also joined the Assembly.

“The Constitutional Assembly initiated a national tour demonstrating cooperation, showing it is seeking better and closer dialogue with Libyans nation-wide,” explained Al-Dirissi. “We dialogued with many Libyans across the whole country, but we haven’t had a genuine debate with our Amazigh brothers I’m afraid.”

After realising that the tour did little to bridge the gap with the Amazigh, Al-Dirissi says that the Assembly decided that it had to appoint a carefully selected committee to liaise specifically with the them.

In recent weeks a number of political activists have called for the Assembly to take charge of the country in place of the General National Congress which is widely despised and seen as overstaying its mandate.

“We’ve restrained ourselves from getting involved in the political turbulence,” said Al-Dirissi when asked about this. “We were elected to achieve and fulfill a certain goal in collaboration with the people,” he stressed.

“The increasing insecurity in Libya is holding our country back in so many ways, but we, as the Constitutional Assemby, are determined to move forward and accomplish the purpose we were elected for,” he said. [/restrict]

Tags: amazighCDAconstitutionconstitution-drafting assemblyLibyaTebutuareg

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Next Post

At least 57 die and 74 injured in Benghazi fighting today

PFG chief dispute continues as rebel guards claim LD 377 million

Top Stories

  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

EU4Skills project organises workshop on quality management systems in the marine fisheries and fish products sector

Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.