No Result
View All Result
Sunday, February 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Benghazi death-toll rises as government condemns Ansar Al-Sharia as terrorists

byCallum Paton
May 3, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Noora Ibrahim and Motaz Ahmed.

Benghazi, 2 May 2014:

As differing reports come in from government, medical and security sources on this morning’s armed clashes between security forces and Ansar Al-Sharia, the death-toll in Benghazi is at least nine, possibly  more, with as many as twenty wounded.

In a  statement issued following an emergency cabinet meeting this morning, the government said that nine members of Saiqa Special Forces had been killed in the attack on Benghazi Security Directorate by Ansar Al-Sharia. It did not give a definitive count of the injured.

It condemned the incident in the strongest terms saying that “armed brigades belonging to the so-called Ansar Al-Sharia and other terrorist groups” had attacked “the legitimate forces of the Libyan state”.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan Islamist accused of assassinating four in US Benghazi Consulate in 2012 arrives under arrest in Washington DC

LBC Eastern Branch holds Benghazi Forum

It is the first time the government has referred to Ansar Al-Sharia in these terms.

The statement went on to describe, two more times, the attacks as terrorist in nature saying the government would not tolerate the existence of such organisations in the country. It said the group that had carried out the attack was ideologically motivated and that the state’s legitimacy would be upheld with force.

The government has said a number of members of Ansar Al-Sharia were killed or captured in the clashes but did not say how many. Figures for Ansar’s dead and wounded have been noticeably absent from all reports today.

A Saiqa Special Forces official told the Libya Herald that nine members of the security forces and one civilian had been killed, with 20 injured. Of the latter he said five were in intensive care.

However, another member of Saiqa has suggested that the number of those killed could be higher. He told this newspaper that eight members of the Special Forces Brigade had disappeared. They are feared to have been taken by Ansar Al-Sharia and there are unconfirmed reports of bodies being found dumped on a beach in the holiday resort of Masif Nerouz in south west Benghazi.

Meanwhile, confusion about numbers has been furthered by a spokesman for Benghazi Medical Centre (BMC) saying that his hospital had received the bodies of seven members of the security forces. Some had been burnt, he said, adding that all had died from bullet wounds either to the head or chest. He also disclosed that 19 injured members of the police and Saiqa had been taken to the hospital and that three were in intensive care.

Earlier today it was reported that four members of Saiqa had had their throats slit and brigade sources have since said that the bodies had also been burnt. It is not known if Saiqa was mistaken or if the four were not among those taken to the BMC.

Responding to the slaughter, the government has sent the Justice Minister Salah Maghrani at the head of a committee of inquiry to investigate what happened and take action.

Meanwhile, violence continued in Benghazi later today with the attempted murder of another Saiqa Special Forces member. A bomb blew up beneath his car as he left Friday prayers at a mosque in Sidi Younis district. [/restrict]

Tags: Ansar Al-ShariaBenghaziBenghazi Medical CentregovernmentLibyaSaiqa Special Forcesterrorist

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Tripoli Criminal Court convicts five Waha bank employees for LD 131 million corruption

February 22, 2026
Mental health services in Libya almost non-existent – approximately one million people need mental health care: WHO 2020 report
Libya

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

February 21, 2026
Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts
Libya

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

February 21, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
Next Post
New British Council training to boost UK visa application success rate

New British Council training to boost UK visa application success rate

Sharara shutdown continues despite blockade being lifted

Top Stories

  • Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts

    Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benina Airport installs first-ever ILS/DME Navigational Aids System by Spain’s Sky Navigation Systems

Sirte Oil Company completes drilling of horizontal well C345H in the Ziltan field with production rate of 2,000 barrels per day

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.