No Result
View All Result
Monday, May 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Business as usual for Tunisians despite kidnappings says embassy

byMichel Cousins
April 19, 2014
Reading Time: 1 min read
A A

By Houda Mzioudet,

Tripoli, 19 April 2014:
Tunisian business in Libya has not been affected by the recent kidnappings . . .[restrict]of Tunisian diplomats and workers according to a Tunisian diplomat in Tripoli.
There is no evidence of Tunisian workers or companies leaving Libya, Lotfi Chelli, commercial attaché at the Tunisian embassy in Tripoli told the Libya Herald. Despite the absuctions, everything else was  normal.
 “Tunisian companies will still be participating in the Libya Build exhibition scheduled for 9 May. No cancellations have been recorded,” Chelli insisted.
Trade and business ties have been more affected by the regular closures of the main Ras Jedir border crossing but it is now open.  At the end of last year it was estimated that border closures were costing  the Tunisian economy TD 15 million (LD 11.7 million) a day because of trucks not being able to take goods to Libya.However, warnings at the time that  trade relations between the two countries could collapse altogether  if instability continued in Libya turned out to be a wild exaggeration.
Officially, trade between the two countries is worth LD 1.35 billion a year, more than half a billion of it in Tunisia’s favour. However, the financial flow is much larger – from earnings repatriated by the several hundred thousand Tunisian living and working in Libya, earnings by Tunisian service companies, and from smuggling. According to a World Bank report last December, smuggling from Libya and Algeria was worth $828 million (LD 1 billion) last year.  Much of it was petrol from Libya.

[/restrict]

RELATED POSTS

Egyptian investments in Libya exceeded US$ 2.5 billion, surpassing for the first time Libyan investments in Egypt‎

Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds high level meetings in DC, including US Treasury and Commerce Departments, Department of State, US companies and business associations

Tags: LibyaTradeTunisia

Related Posts

CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

May 17, 2026
Ministry of Housing in discussions with Ernst & Young in London
Business

Minister of Housing from Baku: Completion and construction of 150,000 housing units and the transition towards smart cities‎ is the aim

May 17, 2026
CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

Numisma Bank pledges to supply record amounts of cash dollars to the Central Bank of Libya in its Second Phase of cash injection to the Libyan market

May 17, 2026
First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges
Business

First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

May 17, 2026
Sebha airport closed for urgent runway maintenance until end of April
Business

Sebha’s newly developed airport inaugurated during a lavish ceremony

May 17, 2026
NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port
Business

Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Integrity Commision decision overturned – 16 months on

Clashes in Sirte leave one dead

Top Stories

  • Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL renews call for closure of unofficial FX sales outlets – as dinar begins to slide again

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

Minister of Housing from Baku: Completion and construction of 150,000 housing units and the transition towards smart cities‎ is the aim

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.