No Result
View All Result
Saturday, May 23, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Saadi back in Libya after Niger finally agrees to extradition

bythomwestcott
March 6, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Saadi back in Libya after Niger finally agrees to extradition

Saadi Qaddafi shortly after his arrest two years ago (File photo)

By Libya Herald staff.

Pictures of Saadi Qaddafi under arrest circulating on social media
Pictures of Saadi Qaddafi under arrest circulating on social media

Tripoli, 6 March 2014:

Saadi Qaddafi arrived in Tripoli in the early hours of this morning, after . . .[restrict]Niger finally agreed to extradite him.

“Saadi Muammar Qaddafi was extradited to Libya from Niger this morning and is currently being detained by Libya’s Judicial Police,” the Libyan government said in a statement released on its Facebook page and via its official Twitter account. Security sources confirmed that Saadi arrived at 2.50 am this morning at Tripoli’s Mitiga airbase and was transferred to Hadba Prison, where other leading members of the former regime, including Abdullah Senussi, are held.

The government was keen for Saadi, the third son of the former dictator,  to receive just and fair treatment, reflecting international standards, the statement added.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan government delegation meets – US Department of Energy – discusses developing oil and gas sector and strategic energy projects

Saif al-Islam Qaddafi buried in Bani Walid next to his brother – thousands attend funeral as supporters of former regime display old green flag

Images of him with his head and beard shaved, whilst dressed in prison uniform are now widely-circulated on social media networks, although it is not clear if the picture has been doctored.

It is not yet clear what charges Saadi faces but it was alleged that, in the early days of the revolution, Saadi gave orders for Qaddafi forces to open fire on unarmed protestors.

The government thanked Niger, in particular President Mahamadou Issoufou, for its co-operation in the extradition.

Niger had consistently refused to hand over the footballer-turned-supposed Salafist who fled to the country in September 2011 despite repeated Libyan requests for him and other members of the former regime who had fled with him.  It said the most it would do was hand him over to the International Criminal Court (ICC) in The Hague, although the ICC was not seeking him.

However, it became clear last month that views were changing in Niamey.  Three weeks ago, Niger handed over former Qaddafi Internal Security Chief, Abdullah Mansour.

Whether cash has been paid to secure Saadi’s delivery, as alleged in the surrender of other Qaddafi regime figures abroad, is unlikely ever to be disclosed.

However, it is also believed that Niger had become exasperated with him for not keeping to the terms of his remaining in the country, by staying put in the house provided to  him.  In January, the Niger government ordered him back to house arrest after Qaddafi supporters seized the Tamenhint airbase near Sebha and sporadic pro-Qaddafi protests elsewhere in the country, all of which Saadi was accused of organising. [/restrict]

Tags: extraditionfeaturedhuman rightsLibyanigerSaadi QaddafiSaif Al-Islam QaddafiTripoli

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

UNESCO holds seminars on digital broadcasting

Design for new half-dinar coin released

Design for new half-dinar coin released

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.