No Result
View All Result
Sunday, February 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Tebus announce boycott of Constitutional Committee elections; Tuareg split

byMichel Cousins
February 17, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Jamal Adel.

17 February 2014:

A Tebu boycott of Thurday’s elections for the 60-member Constitutional Committee has been declared by . . .[restrict]the National Tebu Assembly (NTA).

“The Tebu community won’t be involved in any constitution that don’t recognise and include Tebus rights,” Adem Rami Karki, the NTA chairman told the Libya Herald today. “We are boycotting the election until the consensus principal is recognised”, he declared.

The boycott will be lifted, he said, only if the General National Congress amends the 2011 Constitutional Declaration by Thursday to include a commitment to Tebu rights and those of Libya’s other ethnic minorities.

RELATED POSTS

Tripoli government forces regain control over Ras Jedir Libyan-Tunisian border crossing

Armed clashes between government forces and local Zuwara forces at Libyan-Tunisian border crossing – Tunisia closes border

“The new free Libya we’re looking to reconstruct today cannot be done without the collaboration of all national efforts – Arab, Tebu, Amazigh and Tuareg.

“It is the matter of recognising those who are not the majority as indispensible partners in land. Once the majority excludes anyone else, there will be neither justice nor freedom. Therefore there will be no free new Libya. We will be back point zero.”

It is not clear if the 14 Tebu candidates, standing in two separate ethnic candidate lists in Obari and the south of Ajdabiya constituencies (the latter covers Kufra) will now withdraw, although at this late point, with ballot papers already printed, that is probably unrealistic. However, according to Karki, the announcement has the support of all the 14 Tebu candidates following meetings in Kufra and Murzuk between them and the NTA.

It is thought likely that Tebu voters will accept the announcement and shun the poll. The NTA is highly regarded in the Tebu community. However, that does not mean that two candidates will not be announced as winners, even if they then refuse to accept election. Anyone voter in the Obari constituency and in the southern Ajdabiya sub-constituencies will can vote for a Tebu candidate, regardless of his or her own ethnic background.

The Higher National Elections Commission had already suggested that, because of security consideration, it might be difficult organising the elections in Kufra.

The Amazigh community are already boycotting the elections and there are no candidates for the two Amazigh seats, in Zuwara and the Jebel Nafusa. Today’s boycott suggests that the Constitutional Committee will have 56, not 60, members.

The Libya’s other ethnic minority, the Tuaregs, appear to be split on the issue.

“We are going to claim our rights in the 60 [member] Committee,” the head of Supreme Council of Libya’s Tuaregs, Molay Gidedy, told this paper today.

“Given the sensitivity of the transitional period, we decided to go for the elections, despite the government ignoring minority causes in the country,” he stated.  The decision had followed meetings with the Tuareg community across the country, including the Supreme Council, the Tuareg Shura Council and the Assembly of Tuareg Tribes, he added.

However, other Tuareg groups have told this paper they do not recognise Gidedy’s authority and intend to also boycott the elections.

The only reference to minority rights in the 2011 Constitutional Declaration is in Article 1 where, after it states that Arabic is the official language, it says that “the state shall guarantee the cultural rights for all components of the Libyan society and their languages shall be deemed national ones”. [/restrict]

Tags: amazighConstitutional Committee electionsLibyaTebustuareg

Related Posts

Mental health services in Libya almost non-existent – approximately one million people need mental health care: WHO 2020 report
Libya

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

February 21, 2026
Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts
Libya

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

February 21, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Next Post
Women’s “It will be our constitution” campaign launched with 50,000 SMS messages

Women's "It will be our constitution" campaign launched with 50,000 SMS messages

14 Qaddafi soldiers released in Zawia

Top Stories

  • Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts

    Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.