No Result
View All Result
Saturday, May 23, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Personal registration still possible – HNEC head

bySami Zaptia
January 31, 2014
Reading Time: 1 min read
A A

Taziz Hasairi and Sami Zaptia.

Tripoli, 1 January 2014:

Holding a press conference to mark the end of the SMS voter registration phase . . .[restrict]for the constitutional elections, HNEC head Nuri Elabbar said that Libyans could still vote in person in ten days’ time.

Elabbar revealed that 649 candidates had applied to stand in the constitutional elections, of which 575 were accepted with 54 women, 14 Tebu and 6 Tuareg. There are no Amazigh registered to take part due to their boycott of these elections.

Elabbar then explained that there would be a period for “adding and editing” from 11-16 January during which people could register or change their polling stations in person, and not via SMS.

RELATED POSTS

Tripoli government forces regain control over Ras Jedir Libyan-Tunisian border crossing

Armed clashes between government forces and local Zuwara forces at Libyan-Tunisian border crossing – Tunisia closes border

He felt that there were many students taking exams currently and that this brief personal registration period would give them an opportunity to register.

The HNEC head revealed that the elections would probably take place in the middle of February and that it would be the GNC that would decide on the final election date.

With regards to the non-participation of the ethnic Amazigh minority, Elabbar said that it was possible to have a subsequent election involving the Amazigh.

On the issue of security, Elabbar said that it had not been decided yet as to exactly who  would handle security for the elections.

With regards to what number of registered voters would be considered enough to make the elections legitimate, the HNEC head said that there was no minimum number of required voters registered.

In contrast, it is worth noting that in the July 2012  GNC elections, of the estimated 3.3 million eligible voters, 2.866 million  Libyans registered to vote; of which 45 percent were women.

  [/restrict]

Tags: amazighHNECNuri ElabbarregistrationSMSSMS voter registrationTebutuaregvoter

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
GNC elects new rapporteur

GNC elects new rapporteur

Zeidan vote of “no-confidence” on GNC agenda next week

Zeidan vote of "no-confidence" on GNC agenda next week

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.