No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Alcatel Lucent to install high-speed internet link between Benghazi and Tripoli

byCallum Paton
September 1, 2015
Reading Time: 1 min read
A A

By Callum Paton.

Tripoli, 28 January 2014:

France-based telecommunications company Alcatel Lucent has been awarded a $58 million contract to install a high-speed underwater broadband . . .[restrict]cable between Benghazi and Tripoli.

The undersea cable will run from Tripoli to Benghazi with two additional onshore ‘terminals’ in Ajdabiya and Misrata, promising a broadband capacity of up to ten terabytes. It should provide necessary foundations for the introduction of mobile broadband and high-speed internet access. The joint project between Alcatel Lucent and the Libyan International Telecom Company should be completed in the next 16 months.

Deputy Minister for Communication Mohamed Benrasali told the Libya Herald that the new cable would address the “data tsunami” expected to follow the implementation of internet broadband. “This is a very important project for the Libyan ICT sector, which will provide the backbone for a national network,” he said. “It will also link the two international information gateways in the east and in the west.”

RELATED POSTS

Almadar Aljadid was the fastest mobile operator in Libya during Q3 2022

Libyan mobile phone video game ‘Nitro Bus’ available on Libyana store

Benrasali said the Ministry of Communications was very happy to be working with Alcatel Lucent, describing it as “one of the leading companies in submarine cable technology.” The French company has previously worked in Libya installing a similar underwater line between Khoms and Misrata.

He added that finalising the deal had taken a year, during which Alcatel Lucent had seen off competition from Chinese, Japanese and American companies.

This is the latest step being taken by the Ministry of Communications to modernise the country’s infrastructure and provide better internet and telecoms services. New contracts for upgrading the country’s mobile networks for on-the-go internet are also expected to be announced soon. [/restrict]

Tags: Alcatel LuscentcableLibyanaMadar

Related Posts

Libyan Iron and Steel Company achieves record production in HBI and DRI
Business

Bosnia Herzegovina engineering company Energoinvest signs € 2.71 million contract with Libyan Iron and Steel Co to construct a power station

May 19, 2026
CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

CBL Governor & Interior Minister discuss action plan to curb FX black-market, reduce smuggling across borders and imports outside banking system

May 18, 2026
NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port
Business

Mellitah Oil and Gas completes maintenance on well A-28 in Abu Attifel field – reducing water to zero, increasing production to 2,490 bpd

May 18, 2026
Economy Minister Hwej reviews his ministry’s implementation of its 2023 plan and issues several directives
Business

Economy Ministry accredits seven international inspection companies to inspect imports of medicines & medical equipment at ports of origin

May 18, 2026
CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

May 17, 2026
Ministry of Housing in discussions with Ernst & Young in London
Business

Minister of Housing from Baku: Completion and construction of 150,000 housing units and the transition towards smart cities‎ is the aim

May 17, 2026
Next Post

British Airways to add fifth weekly UK-Tripoli flight

Cyrenaica “prime minister” in talks with government to reopen oil ports

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Bosnia Herzegovina engineering company Energoinvest signs € 2.71 million contract with Libyan Iron and Steel Co to construct a power station

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.