No Result
View All Result
Sunday, February 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Government blocks UN request for security unit

byCallum Paton
December 18, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Government blocks UN request for security unit

By Callum Paton.

Tripoli, 18 December 2013:

Authorities have blocked requests made by the UN Security Council for the deployment of a 235-strong . . .[restrict]guard unit for the protection of UN staff. The rejection was made on the grounds that the force would interfere with the fragile security situation in the country.

Speaking to a press conference yesterday, the head of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL), Tarek Mitri, told reporters that the UN had reiterated that the task of the guard unit was of limited scope and that its establishment was an ordinary measure that is taken by diplomatic missions. He added that the Libyan government’s refusal to allow the formation of a UN guard brigade was based on a misunderstanding.

The government had previously agreed to the formation of the unit after blocking the request the first time it was submitted. Speaking to the UN Security Council last week, Mitri said that some groups had gone so far as “suspecting the proposed arrangement to be a prelude to international intervention.” He went on the say that UNSMIL had “issued clarifications and had to state the obvious”.

RELATED POSTS

UN lunches US$ 71 million Libya floods appeal, WHO and Red Cross advise against mass burials

Latest UN satellite imagery shows extent of Storm Daniel destruction in Derna

The UNSMIL head told journalists yesterday that “the format and size of the guard unit is currently under review, so as to calm some worries and avoid any tendency towards unfounded explanations and assumptions, as well as avoid overstating the significance of an ordinary measure”.

As to whether the UN mission in Libya might have to rein back some of its programmes in light of the decision, Mitri said that UNSMIL’s activities would carry on as usual. The UN had asked for the brigade to protect its mission in “a context of insecurity which had prevailed for many months”, but the organisation’s Libya chief told reporters that his staff could not expect to stop working in a security situation that the people they hoped to help also had to endure. [/restrict]

Tags: LibyaTarek MitriUN

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Tripoli Criminal Court convicts five Waha bank employees for LD 131 million corruption

February 22, 2026
Mental health services in Libya almost non-existent – approximately one million people need mental health care: WHO 2020 report
Libya

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

February 21, 2026
Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts
Libya

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

February 21, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
Next Post
US-Libyan Trade and Investment Council agreed

US-Libyan Trade and Investment Council agreed

Senussi to be questioned by British and US investigators

Senussi to be questioned by British and US investigators

Top Stories

  • Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts

    Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Kufra airport activates runway and taxiway lighting enabling nighttime flights

Newly created Libyan United Airlines reveals logo – stresses it is a privately owned airline

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.