No Result
View All Result
Friday, February 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Lack of arrests for crimes in Libya not our fault says prosecution service

byMichel Cousins
December 12, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Lack of arrests for crimes in Libya not our fault says prosecution service

By Jamal Adel and Aimen Eljali.

Anees Abu Saif and Sadik Asour (Photo: Aimen Eljali)

Tripoli, 11 December 2013:

Defending itself against accusation that it was doing little to crack down on . . .[restrict]crime, the Ministry of Justice said today that it is working properly but the police and army were not executing the law.

At a press conference, Sadik Asour, head of the Attorney-General’s investigation department, stressed that there were many wrong assumptions by the media and the public about the work of ministry, but combatting crime required the collaboration of a number of agencies, not just the judiciary.

There was a great deal of crime in the wake of the revolution, Asour noted, but the ministry was doing its best to tackle it.

RELATED POSTS

Recent legal opinion on foreign investment in Libya does not impose blanket ban in oil sector: Tumi Law Firm

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

He claimed that his office had worked on a number of cases and investigations such as the seizure of LD 53-million worth of cash in Sirte, the kidnapping of the Prime Minister, the blockade of oil fields and the alleged passing of cheques, and the assassinations of the senior military figures in Benghazi and Derna.

Investigations into some of these cases had been completed and arrest warrants issued but it was up to the executive authorities to execute them. These were either too weak or not functioning, he said. As a result criminals were still free.

The public prosecutor Anees Abu Saif said they had completed the investigation into the Sirte bank robbery and arrest warrants had been issued.

Warrants too had been issued in relation to the Gharghour massacre event after investigations were completed.

Regarding the allegations by the UN envoy in Libya, Tarek Mitri, of prisoners being tortured, Alsour said an investigation had been launched by the Attorney-General’s office with the aim of enforcing legal standards on all prisons. Plans were in hand too to ensure all detainees were transferred to the legitimate authorities in the country. Those who refused to do so would be charged with kidnapping and illegal detentions of prisoners, he said.

Asour also said that the new transitional justice law would contribute positively to strengthening the judicial authorities in Libya.

Asked by the Libya Herald why the criminals who were released or escaped from prisons at the beginning of revolution were still free while their files were still available, Asour said there that the former National Transitional Council had issued an amnesty for all prisoners although it did not apply to cases such as murder. All cases had to be assessed individually.  However, again  it was up to the authorities to re-arrest individuals. [/restrict]

Tags: LibyaMinistry of Justice

Related Posts

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Business

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 19, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
Next Post
BMW Libya unveils the new X5

BMW Libya unveils the new X5

NOC plans to attract foreign shale gas investors still in early stages

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

Misrata Chamber to hold workshop on “Advance Consignment Information (ACI)’’ imported cargo tracking and registration system adopted by Libya

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.