No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

American teacher shot dead in Benghazi

bythomwestcott
December 5, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
American teacher shot dead in Benghazi

Ronnie Smith with his wife and son

By Libya Herald staff.

Ronnie Smith with his wife and son
Ronnie Smith with his wife and son

Tripoli, 5 December 2013:

An American teacher who worked at Benghazi International School was shot dead this morning while . . .[restrict]he was out jogging.

Chemistry teacher Ronnie Smith, aged 33, was running on Dubai Street in Benghazi’s Digadosta district when he was shot, head of the school’s governing body Dr Adel Mansouri told the Libya Herald.

Witnesses to the attack said that Smith was approached by a vehicle described as “a black Jeep.” It reportedly drove up to him and retreated several times before shots were fired from the vehicle.

RELATED POSTS

First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

China’s Ambassador to Libya visits Benghazi on the inauguration of China’s COSCO direct shipping line to the city

Mansouri said that Smith had been shot “more than once.” He added that his body had been taken to the Benghazi Medical Centre. “We called his family and, when his body is released, we will arrange for the repatriation of the body,” he said.

A spokesperson from the American Embassy in Tripoli confirmed to the Libya Herald that an American citizen had been shot and killed today. The next of kin had been informed, he said, and an investigation had been launched.

Staff at the embassy offered their condolences to Smith’s loved ones and friends, he said.

Smith, an Arabic speaker, taught primary level students and was very popular with both staff and students, Mansouri said. He had lived in Benghazi for 13 months with his wife and their two-year old child. She had returned to America a few weeks earlier and Smith was due to join them for Christmas.

The school was still open, Mansouri said. “We do not know if this was a terrorist attack or if it was a robbery that went bad, he said, adding: “We do not give up at the first sign of things going bad.” Other international staff at the school had, however, been advised to be careful.

School holidays would in any event take place in just over a week’s time during which the situation would be reassessed, Mansouri said. He added that the school had been contacted by the Ministries of Education, Interior and Foreign Affairs to assure it of their the full support. [/restrict]

Tags: AmericaBenghaziBenghazi International SchoolfeaturedguncrimeLibyashooting

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Next Post

Forecourt violence as manager shuts garage over threats

No contact with government says Derna council leader

Top Stories

  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

EU4Skills project organises workshop on quality management systems in the marine fisheries and fish products sector

Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.