No Result
View All Result
Monday, February 16, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Libyan lawyers blast Zeidan’s response to Gharghour massacre as “half-hearted”

byMichel Cousins
November 19, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald staff.

Tripoli, 19 November 2013:

The lawyers group, Lawyers for Justice in Libya (LFJL) has hit out against the Prime . . .[restrict]Minister’s response to the Gharghour massacre calling it irresponsible and unacceptable. It accused the government of ultimate responsibility for the slaughter for having allowed the militias to operate unchecked.

The government had “failed to take substantive action” in response to the attacks, Elham Saudi, LFJL director said, lambasting Ali Zeidan’s call for “restraint and a halt to clashes” as “the statement of a distant observer”, not of a responsible official. “Half-hearted words are not enough to ensure peace and prevent future attacks, nor do they fulfil the government’s international legal responsibilities.”

Saudi added: “The Libyan government’s argument for inaction and for not disarming these groups is the desire to avoid confrontation and to prevent violence.”

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba opens First Phase of Tripoli’s Third Ring Road

On the day of first direct Tripoli to Rome flight, MoU signed between Libyan Civil Aviation and its Italian counterpart

This was “an unacceptable strategy and one that has proven to be in effective. It is also one that has cultivated the culture of impunity when it comes to human rights violations, “ she added. “It is through such inaction that non-state actors, such as militias, gain their de facto sense of legitimacy. After allowing these militias to carry out state functions unchecked for several months, the Libyan government is responsible for the atrocities committed against the peaceful and unarmed public over the weekend. It cannot now renounce responsibility for these unaccountable groups.”

The lawyers group insisted that the government stop “appeasing” the demands of militia groups in Libya, which it called “a violent minority” increasingly resented by the public. It called on the government immediately to remove all militias from Tripoli and state institutions as decreed by Law No. 27 of the General National Congress and disband all armed non-state groups.

The government also had to reiterate its commitment, announced earlier this month to stop paying all militias by 31 December 2013.

It had to investigate the events of last Friday and Saturday and hold those responsible accountable for the crimes committed.

The Gharghour massacre and the fighting in Tajoura the following day had highlighted the need for an accountable security force that protected the public, LFJL said. The government had to vet those who were joining the armed forces to ensure that no one involved in human rights abuses or criminal offences was recruited.

“The government should also offer no amnesties in any integration process for crimes and human rights violations committed,” it said. [/restrict]

Tags: lawyersLFJLLibyaTripoli

Related Posts

NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

China appoints Ma Xueliang as its new ambassador to Libya – after a 10-year gap

February 13, 2026
After a ten-year hiatus, Al-Khadra hospital’s Eye Clinic reopens
Libya

Al-Hadaba Al-Khadra General Hospital announces resumption of hip replacement surgeries after a two-year hiatus

February 12, 2026
Next Post
Women protest against armed presence in Tripoli

Women protest against armed presence in Tripoli

Media silence on Benghazi Joint Security Room

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Saif al-Islam Qaddafi buried in Bani Walid next to his brother – thousands attend funeral as supporters of former regime display old green flag

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.