By Ashraf Abdul-Wahab.
Tripoli, 10 October 2013:
The head of the Counter Crime Agency in Tripoli’s Fornaj district, Abdelmonem Al-Said, is under investigation . . .[restrict]by the Attorney General for his role in the kidnapping of the Prime Minister, a source in the Attorney General’s office has said.
The source indicated that several other security officials would be investigated over their role in the plot. Many, he said, had been well aware of it for a week but had turned a blind eye to the plan. As for the arrest warrant supposedly signed by a prosecutor, it was a forgery, he said.
The fact the plot to arrest Zeidan appears to have been hatched a week ago indicates that it had nothing to do with the kidnapping by the Americans of Nazih Al-Ruqaii or allegations that the Prime Minister had been complicit in it. Ruqaii was seized on Saturday.
Confirmation that it had been a week in the planning came from a Counter Crime Agency spokesman, Abdulkarim Belazi, this afternoon. Responding to Congress President Nuri Abu Sahmain’s condemnation of the seizure at his press conference this morning, Belazi reportedly accused Abu Sahmain of lying. He alleged that the President of Congress had been aware of the arrest order against Zeidan and approved it but that it had had to be delayed because on the day the Prime Minister was to be arrested, he left for Morocco.
Demands for the plotters to be arrested are growing. Zintan Local Council has issued a call for all those involved in the Prime Minister’s kidnapping to be arrested and punished. It had also blamed Congress and Abu Sahmain for establishing the Libyan Revolutionaries Operations Room, which with the Counter Crime Agency carried the abduction.
In his press conference this morning, Abu Sahmain said that he accepted responsibility for establishing the Libyan Revolutionaries Operations Room in July this year. He had done so because of threats to the capital and state institutions. But it was not acting as instructed, he said. [/restrict]