No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, February 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Moscow says Libya ready to release two Russian engineers

byNigel Ash
September 7, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Ashraf Abdul Wahab.

Tripoli, 6 September 2013:

The Foreign Ministry in Moscow said this evening that Libya was ready to release its . . .[restrict]two nationals who were among 24 Eastern Europeans engineers accused of servicing Qaddafi missiles.

The announcement comes at the end of a four-day mission to Tripoli by a Russian government team.  This included a visit to the two men,  Alexander Shadrof and Vladimir Dolgov in Zintan, where they are now held, after originally being detained near the Airport Road in Tripoli.

The Russian foreign ministry said that the conditions in which the men were being held were “much improved”. During the visit, each prisoner was able to use a phone to call his family.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Moscow reported that the Libyan government had said that the case of the two men would be settled “ in accordance with Libyan law and in the framework of the traditional friendship between the two countries”.

Shadrof and Dolgov, with three Belorussians and 19 Ukrainians were originally tried and convicted by a military court for working on Qaddafi’s rocketry during the revolution. All 24 were sentenced to  ten years’ hard labour, save Shadrov who was given life imprisonment. Every one of them has always maintained that they were oil field engineers who had been forced to work on weaponry.

On 14 August however their convictions were overturned on the basis that they should have been tried in a civilian and not a military court.  No date has yet been set for that civilian trial.  However as soon as the sentences were quashed, the Russian foreign ministry announced that a delegation would be leaving for Libya. Together with the Belarusian and Ukrainian governments, the Russians had always argued that any trial should have been held in a civilian court.

It was not possible to contact the Russian embassy this evening.

  [/restrict]

Tags: LibyaMoscowRussian engineers

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post

Justice Minister says Anoud still kidnapped

Zeidan’s government must go, says Grand Mufti

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • LIA discusses with China’s Chargé d’affaires reinvesting Libya’s Security Council frozen assets to preserve their value

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

HoR Members, Benghazi Municipality and Benghazi Chamber meet British business delegation visiting Benghazi

There is no shortage of food supplies in the Libyan marketplace: Customs Authority

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.