No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Ministers stress commitment to private sector despite problems

byMichel Cousins
June 5, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Ministers stress commitment to private sector despite problems

Deputy Prime Minister Awad Barasi (Photo: Sami Zaptia).

By Hadi Fornaji.

Libya is commited to the private sector said Deputy Prime Minister Awad Barasi (Photo: Sami Zaptia).

Tripoli, 4 June 2013:

Libya is committed to the private sector and to freedom of trade as the basis of . . .[restrict]the economy, Deputy Prime Minister Awad Barasi has said.

Giving the keynote speech at the opening of a business conference in Tripoli today, he stated that the government had to make changes in the way the economy operated to enable it to move forward.  However, he stressed that it was currently passing through a “critical period”. Security was at present the single most important issue confronting the country, he said.

The two-day conference, Libya Projects 2013, organised by the MEED publishing group, drew a significant attendance from the Libyan private and state sectors as well as from foreign companies.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

In his keynote address, the Housing and Utilities Minister, Ali Hussein Shareef, indicated that unfinished housing projects would be completed but there were major challenges in doing so. The Qaddafi regime had built so many of them and other projects completely randomly. It was taking time to sort everything out. It could not be allowed to happen again, he said.  He too indicated that the country would depend in future on the private sector.

There are a number of cases of housing developments, as yet unfinished, where no provision was made for sewerage connections or water and electricity supplies.

The third minister to address the conference today, Planning Minister Almehdi Agnaia, said that the government was willing to activate projects drawn up by the past regime but there had been a lack of a coherent vision and of services to the public.  This was having a negative effect on the economy. The priority was to reform the economy. “We aspire to build an economy that is competitive, that has good GDP and with low inflation ad low unemployment,” he said.

Earlier, in his speech, Barasi said that unemployment is Libya was at 15 percent, a figure lower than has been generally reported.

Endorsement for the role and the capabilities of the Libyan private sector came from several other speakers. Chuck Dittrich of the US Libya Business Association said that the private sector was increasingly active and growing fast despite the apparent lack of state action at present.

Acting Congress President Jumaa Ateega is due to speak at the conference tomorrow, as are Deputy Prime Minister Sadiq Abdulkarim Abdulrahman and the Chairman of the Central Bank, Saddek Elkaber. [/restrict]

Tags: LibyaLibya Porjects 2013MEED

Related Posts

Libyan Industrial Union organizing conference on Libyan economy – invites participation
Business

Libyan Industry Union and National Economic and Social Development Board to sign MoU to support manufacturing business environment

May 20, 2026
CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

CBL renews call on Economy Ministry to prohibit imports without payment through official bank transfers starting from 15 June

May 19, 2026
Workshop on strengthening institutional capacities in Libya’s leasing sector
Business

EU4Skills project organises workshop on quality management systems in the marine fisheries and fish products sector

May 19, 2026
Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey
Business

Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

May 19, 2026
Next Post

No Congress decision yet on Mangoush

Late boarder arrested at Tripoli International

Late boarder arrested at Tripoli International

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libyan Industry Union and National Economic and Social Development Board to sign MoU to support manufacturing business environment

CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.