No Result
View All Result
Monday, May 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Political Isolation Law — no pressure to vote either way: Makhzoum

byMichel Cousins
May 7, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Ahmed Elumami.

Tripoli, 5 May 2013:

No pressure was put on Congress members individually or as groups to vote for the Political . . .[restrict]Isolation Law, Saleh Makhzoum, the second deputy president of the General National Congress has told the Libya Herald.  The action of militiamen besieging a number of government ministries had had no effect on their discussions about the law or their decision, he said.

However, the discussions beforehand between parties and independent members had been difficult, he admitted, because supporters of the law were unyielding in their demand that everyone who had held senior positions during Qaddafi’s regime be banned.

The most effective and largest parties in Congress, the Justice and Construction Party (J&C) and the National Forces Alliance (NFA) agreed to vote in the law without amendment.

RELATED POSTS

Economy Ministry accredits seven international inspection companies to inspect imports of medicines & medical equipment at ports of origin

Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

Commenting on the decision, Ibrahim Gharyani, a member of the NFA, said his party had voted for the law because they wanted to put national interests first in order to solve the current crisis.

For his part, Nizar Kawan, a member of the J&C party said this law had to include all people who were involved with Qaddafi’s regime, especially those who murdered, corrupted and destroyed political life in Libya since 1969.

The list of people who will be disbarred includes roughly 20 top echelons of civil and military administration.

In addition, the law will prohibit former officials from holding any position in government or even belonging to a political party. It will also ban them from leadership roles in the country’s state firms, such as the National Oil Corporation, as well as in the police and the military together with its universities and judicial bodies.

Five members of the Integrity Commission are be seconded within a month to form the committee to implement the standards of the Political Isolation Law.

The committee charged with implementing the law should start its work on 5 June 2013, the Libya Herald was told.

GNC spokesman Omar Hemidan said that Prime Minister Ali Zaidan could be among those disbarred, although it was still unclear. The matter would be decided by the committee charged with implementing the law.

Given that Zeidan does not fit any of the criteria for being banned, that seems unlikely. The Prime Minister served as a diplomat under Qaddafi’s regime and defected to the exiled opposition in 1980, not as an ambassador.

Ambassadors who served the regime are automatically disqualified from future employment with the government [/restrict]

Related Posts

Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June
Libya

Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

May 15, 2026
CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

CBL renews call for closure of unofficial FX sales outlets – as dinar begins to slide again

May 12, 2026
Next Post

No Chad rebels in Libya and no Chadian incursion either: Zeidan

Libya still at risk from the plunder and smuggling of antiquities

Libya still at risk from the plunder and smuggling of antiquities

Top Stories

  • Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Economy Ministry accredits seven international inspection companies to inspect imports of medicines & medical equipment at ports of origin

Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.