No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Oil minister says fuel subsidies to go by 2016

byNigel Ash
May 4, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Oil minister says fuel subsidies to go by 2016

(file photo).

By Nigel Ash.

The last drop of fuel subsidy due in 2016

Tripoli, 4 May 2013:

The government is to phase out fuel subsidies within the next three years, according to oil . . .[restrict]minister Abdulbari Ali Abdel-Hadi Al-Arusi.

It has long been argued that the subsidy bill for fuel and by extension electricity is too high. The government had proposed beginning a phasing out of subsidies next year, but had given no time line for when the process would be completed.  Therefore Arusi’s announcement that it is planned to remove state support within three years  comes as a surprise.

“The authorities intend to remove subsidies on all fuel, including both gasoline and diesel,” Reuters reported the minister as saying, “We expect the implementation of this process to take place within the next three years and there will be awareness campaigns for citizens in order to prepare them”.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

According to  an IMF global report published last month, (Subsidy Reform: lessons and implications) fully 16.4 percent of government revenues go toward subsidies for petroleum products. Since Libyan refineries do not produce sufficient supplies for the domestic market, this means that refined product is imported at world prices and sold at a substantial loss pumps in Libya. At the equivalent of €0.18 a litre, Libyan motorists enjoy the fifth cheapest petrol in the world.

In addition, the IMF calculated that 1.85 percent of government spending went on subsidising electric power.  An assessment earlier this year by the General Electricity Company of Libya (GECOL) suggested that if electricity were sold at commercial rates, every family of five would be looking to pay LD 4,000 a year more for their power and light.

With power being sold at the equivalent of one Euro cent/kWh, GECOL not only runs at a loss but, because it can accumulate no funds for fresh investment, must look the state budget for all new capital expenditure. Further, it appears that GECOL’s problems are compounded by a failure among consumers to settle their bills.

Moreover, because electricity is so cheap, there is no incentive for users to conserve power, meaning that, with the current rate of subsidy, the government’s bill is almost  bound to go up.

A recent Tripoli conference on renewable energy was told that tapping into Libya’s considerably solar and wind power potential could only happen if realistic consumer prices could defray the required capital investment.

[/restrict]

Tags: 2016Arusifeaturedfuel price increaseLibyarefineriesthree years

Related Posts

CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

CBL Governor & Interior Minister discuss action plan to curb FX black-market, reduce smuggling across borders and imports outside banking system

May 18, 2026
NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port
Business

Mellitah Oil and Gas completes maintenance on well A-28 in Abu Attifel field – reducing water to zero, increasing production to 2,490 bpd

May 18, 2026
Economy Minister Hwej reviews his ministry’s implementation of its 2023 plan and issues several directives
Business

Economy Ministry accredits seven international inspection companies to inspect imports of medicines & medical equipment at ports of origin

May 18, 2026
CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

May 17, 2026
Ministry of Housing in discussions with Ernst & Young in London
Business

Minister of Housing from Baku: Completion and construction of 150,000 housing units and the transition towards smart cities‎ is the aim

May 17, 2026
CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

Numisma Bank pledges to supply record amounts of cash dollars to the Central Bank of Libya in its Second Phase of cash injection to the Libyan market

May 17, 2026
Next Post
Attempt to kidnap head of discrimination NGO thwarted by militia

Attempt to kidnap head of discrimination NGO thwarted by militia

Towards healing and reconciliation: The Libya Initiative launched

Towards healing and reconciliation: The Libya Initiative launched

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

CBL Governor & Interior Minister discuss action plan to curb FX black-market, reduce smuggling across borders and imports outside banking system

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.